Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charging arguments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sent me this when I bought my car. I've followed it, BUT now I'm having issues. Mainly, they've throttled me down to 30kw on a super charger. I'm going to Charleston tomorrow, I have to take my SUV because if I take Tesla, it will add 3 hours going , 3 hours returning.
It's only a 5 hour trip. In my opinion, I think they are trying to get us antiques out of warranty next year. They refuse to test pack, everytime I call, they say "battery pack is fine". If so, why cant I super charge at 100kw on trips?

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 62
Reference the ‘don’t leave it at a high state of charge for long', I have never found a satisfactory answer to how long is too long. 3 minutes, 3 hours, 3 days, 3 months?

On the very occasional time that I need 100% for a long leg, and it is very rare, perhaps twice in 4 years, it’s normally for a journey the following day. So I would charge up, slowly, overnight knowing that I will set off first thing the following day and so deplete the SoC immediately. So it might sit at 100% for a few hours. Personally I am happy with this as I am under the impression 'too long' is days or weeks, not minutes or hours.

Of course being batterygated and now with an artificially reduced capacity, my current 100% is only about 85% of the original capacity, so I am no longer worried about charging it to a high SoC at all. Every cloud etc.

*Moderator Note: This is an off topic argument pulled from another thread. Enough snippiness here that I nearly put the whole thing into the snippiness thread. Stay on topic and no more snarky stuff.

No, not what I mean. I use to race electric RC cars professionally so I'm very versed in the charging of batteries and what happens to them over the long haul. What I'm advising is a lot of people could save themselves some headaches by Googling some basic knowledge on the charging of batteries and what happens over time. And I also have a home solar system I built with it's own BMS so I do understand how they operate...
*Moderator Note: This is an off topic argument pulled from another thread. Enough snippiness here that I nearly put the whole thing into the snippiness thread. Stay on topic and no more snarky stuff.

No, not what I mean. I use to race electric RC cars professionally so I'm very versed in the charging of batteries and what happens to them over the long haul. What I'm advising is a lot of people could save themselves some headaches by Googling some basic knowledge on the charging of batteries and what happens over time. And I also have a home solar system I built with it's own BMS so I do understand how they operate...
Moderator, please delete my account, thank you!