Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when charging reaches charging limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Quickst

Nov 20, 2021
Sydney
My understanding is when the AC charge plug is connected, Tesla will keep SoC at the set charge limit (between 50-100%) -and any power consumption is generally drawn from the charge plug instead of the battery

As Tesla does not allow charge limits below 40% SoC, what happens when I manually stop charging at say 40% SoC?. Will the same happen - Will Tesla BMS draw power from the charging plug instead of the battery?

Last edited:
My understanding is when the AC charge plug is connected, Tesla will keep SoC at the set charge limit (between 50-100%) -and any power consumption is generally drawn from the charge plug instead of the battery
Not entirely. When the charge limit is reached, the AC power to the car is disconnected. While in standby, the car is running off power stored in the main high voltage pack. When it drops around 3%, it will turn the AC power back on to top off the main battery.

The car will also turn on the AC power temporarily to run the HVAC for cabin preconditioning/overheat protection and battery heating.

As Tesla does not allow charge limits below 40% SoC, what happens when I manually stop charging at say 40% SoC?. Will the same happen - Will Tesla BMS draw power from the charging plug instead of the battery?
With scheduled charging enabled, I've seen the car start charging to the charge limit the next time the scheduled charge start time rolls around. I don't know what happens with scheduled charging off.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
According to some media outlets, your car will explode, bring down the power grid and cause a fire that will never end. People will rush back to coal as the one true energy source, democracy will be restored, all this climate nonsense will become a distant memory, crime will disappear and we'll enjoy a thousand years of prosperity. Your experience might be different though. ;)

When it drops around 3%, it will turn the AC power back on to top off the main battery.
In that case no point keeping the charge plug connected when the car is in garage unless expected battery drainage is more than 2%.
As I can charge at work, overnighting at home usually drains battery by less than 1%.

Is it the same if I manually stop the charge at SoC less than 50%. - say at 40%. Will it automatically top up the battery back to 40% after letting the battery drain to 37%.

With scheduled charging turned off, doesn't it start charging immediately, and then charge to the charge limit?
@Quickst was asking about a specific case of stopping charging before hitting the charge limit. I've done that with scheduled charging enabled and seen it re-start the next day when the scheduled start time rolls around.

I've never tried manually interrupting the charge and leaving the cord connected without scheduled charging enabled, hence my comment that I don't know what happens in that case.

I'm not referring to "scheduled charging off"
I'm referring about manually stopping charging when SoC is below 50% and whether the charger will keep the charge at whatever SoC I stopped the charging at. . (There is no current way to set charge limit below 50%. )
Unless you have set Scheduled Charging to be on or Scheduled Departure - Charging so that charging will start and complete charging by the time you leave in the A.M. the Tesla vehicle will not start charging again simply because it is plugged in once you manually stop the charging session. One reason to leave the Tesla vehicle plugged in would be if you want to precondition before driving using grid power as much as the charging circuit enables to warm up the passenger cabin and warm the battery as required in cold weather.

Even if you don't stop charging at 40% and instead charge to 50% before halting charging manually (with a daily charge limit set to say 60%) the Tesla vehicle will not start charging again unless you either manually select the button to start charging or unplug and re-plug the charging connector; else if either of the two delayed charging options noted in the preceding paragraph are set.

Reactions: MP3Mike
One reason to leave the Tesla vehicle plugged in would be if you want to precondition before driving using grid power as much as the charging circuit enables to warm up the passenger cabin and warm the battery as required in cold weather.
I really wish if you stopped charging manually that it wouldn't use the grid for preconditioning. I'm lazy and want to leave it plugged in, but I don't want it to use the grid to precondition during peak rates.

Even if you don't stop charging at 40% and instead charge to 50% before halting charging manually (with a daily charge limit set to say 60%) the Tesla vehicle will not start charging again unless you either unplug and re-plug the charging connector or if either of the two delayed charging options noted in the preceding paragraph are set.
Or you tap the "start charging" button in the app.

@jcanoe
Again, I am not asking about the characteristics of scheduled charging.

And again I am also not asking about scheduled preconditioning.

I am only asking whether the vehicle will maintain the SoC when the charging plug is connected after charging is manually stopped.

Repeat - this has nothing to do with Scheduled charging or recommencing charging.

• Funny
@jcanoe
Again, I am not asking about the characteristics of scheduled charging.

And again I am also not asking about scheduled preconditioning.

I am only asking whether the vehicle will maintain the SoC when the charging plug is connected after charging is manually stopped.

Repeat - this has nothing to do with Scheduled charging or recommencing charging.
I think your question was answered. It won't start charging again if all the scheduled charging options are off. That's what jcanoe said, or at least that's what I am reading.

I think your question was answered. It won't start charging again if all the scheduled charging options are off. That's what jcanoe said, or at least that's what I am reading.
You asked if the Tesla Model Y will start charging again once you manually stop charging. Once you press the screen button to stop charging then charging won't start again *. Charging up to the set Daily Charging Limit is a routine that must be initiated and left running. You initiate the routine by plugging in, or by pressing the Start Charging button if already plugged in but stopped. Also, if you have those settings that I won't be naming here enabled, they would also initiate charging.

* If charging is interrupted due a power grid service interruption, then the Tesla Model Y will attempt to resume charging after grid power has been restored.

• Helpful
You asked if the Tesla Model Y will start charging again once you manually stop charging. Once you press the screen button to stop charging then charging won't start again *. Charging up to the set Daily Charging Limit is a routine that must be initiated and left running. You initiate the routine by plugging in, or by pressing the Start Charging button if already plugged in but stopped. Also, if you have those settings that I won't be naming here enabled, they would also initiate charging.

* If charging is interrupted due a power grid service interruption, then the Tesla Model Y will attempt to resume charging after grid power has been restored.
@jcanoe
I think you quoted the wrong message. I didn't ask.

Reactions: jcanoe