Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain when parked with <20%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 MS 90D (odo 250k km), drains the battery every time I park it with less than 20%. Within 24 hours the battery will drain from 20% to 5%.
I don't have sentry mode and I also don't open the app.
Tesla says it comes due to the rebalancing of the battery pack. Is this a common issue and is the battery pack still in good condition?

1) Sentry mode is automatically disabled below 20% SOC, so clearly not it.
2) My guess is the battery has cooled off. It has quite a bit more energy when warm. When you park it with low SOC, the battery cools and the SOC becomes quite a bit lower. If the battery is heated up, that SOC is recovered. It's not noticeable with higher states of charge as the battery has enough power to warm itself and get back the SOC. The problem can be when the battery gets too low SOC, it can't heat it to regain more charge, and the car will be unusable until it is charged. This cooling SOC loss effect can occur in as little as 15 minutes in cold weather. It might not occur at all in hot temperatures > 80F).

My 2016 MS 90D (odo 250k km), drains the battery every time I park it with less than 20%. Within 24 hours the battery will drain from 20% to 5%.
I don't have sentry mode and I also don't open the app.
Tesla says it comes due to the rebalancing of the battery pack.
Maybe, but perhaps the car is awake for some other reason.
Is this a common issue
Not that I have heard.
and is the battery pack still in good condition?
Hard to say. Knowing NFP pack capacity, your total CaC and cell imbalance would be required. SMT and a canbus reader is needed, or ask service to connect toolbox and show you the numbers. Tesla may not agree to the latter.

Are you still under the 8yr warranty?

My 2016 S75 did this regularly later in life - every time it was parked under 20% for any period of time actually.

Several others have reported the same.
Yups, at low SoC it will rebalance and lose a bit of charge. Not all the charge you lose according to the indiactor is gone however, if you dare to drive you'd see you regain a couple of %. Forgot why this was the case, had to do something with low temparatures iirc.