Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery longevity question…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i’m sure this has been asked before (if so delete this).

in terms of battery health (for a model 3 LR) — is the ACT of charging to 90-100% detrimental to longevity or is it charging to that amount and letting the car sit at that SOC?

i.e. if i charged to 100% but theoretically drove off uphill right when it hit 100% OK vs. having it sit at that SOC for several hours.

i’m sure this has been asked before (if so delete this).

in terms of battery health (for a model 3 LR) — is the ACT of charging to 90-100% detrimental to longevity or is it charging to that amount and letting the car sit at that SOC?

i.e. if i charged to 100% but theoretically drove off uphill right when it hit 100% OK vs. having it sit at that SOC for several hours.
The time at 100% is not at all as bad as the forum myth says.
It seems not possible to uploads pictures today, but I would have placed a research graph of degradation cause by the time at different SOC here.
NCA calendar aging — Postimages

The lower SOC the better, but there is only small variations for the degradation between about 65-100%. At normal temperature the difference is almost negligable. The inrease of degradation is not dooming the battery but perhaps 10% higher than at 70-80%. This means, 9hours at 100% is not worse than 10 hours at 80%.

The main reason for the 90-100% should not be used daily is that the cyclic aging increases quite much.
NCA calendar aging.png
NCA calendar aging.png
NCA calendar aging.png

Reactions: DrChaos
Just FYI: I regularly charge from 50-80% except when going on long trips, I'll go to 90-100%. My Model S is nearly 6 years old and my range is down about 11%. That's with a mix of L1, L2, L3 charging.

If you live in a not hot climate, and have an average of lets say 70% SOC you perhaps would have 5% loss after one year (part of this is probably hidden dure to the degradation threshold)
5 Years with 5 x (square root of 6)= 12.2%. That is an easy estimate of what you probably would have in calendar aging. Cycles have taken a much smaller part, perhaps 1-2%.

If you took a look at the BMS estimated capacity you would probably see a larger loss than 11%, as the Model S probably hides about the same loss as model 3 does (about 2% for most Model 3).

DA00EF77-39E3-4FF1-B682-BF64F670FB36.jpeg