Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery manufacturing question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I kind of recall something about making batteries wherein they have to be stored, aged, or conditioned in some fashion before being installed in a product such as a Tesla.

Is this true?
Why does this need to be done?
How long does it take and has TSLA teased ways in which they are shortening this process?
Thanks.

So I kind of recall something about making batteries wherein they have to be stored, aged, or conditioned in some fashion before being installed in a product such as a Tesla.

Is this true?
Why does this need to be done?
How long does it take and has TSLA teased ways in which they are shortening this process?
Thanks.
You are referring to the formation step of cell manufacturing where the SEI layer is formed. There can also be an aging step before final quality checks. There were rumors that Tesla was able to eliminate most of the storage racks typically needed for these steps.
In the Kato line video this is the library stack like load/ unload system.
Random search results:
Fast formation cycling for lithium ion batteries
DEFINE_ME
Power Efficient Battery Formation | Analog Devices

Video:

You are referring to the formation step of cell manufacturing where the SEI layer is formed. There can also be an aging step before final quality checks. There were rumors that Tesla was able to eliminate most of the storage racks typically needed for these steps.
In the Kato line video this is the library stack like load/ unload system.
Random search results:
Fast formation cycling for lithium ion batteries
DEFINE_ME
Power Efficient Battery Formation | Analog Devices

Video:
So as I read the first article, it suggests that normally the process takes up to 3 weeks. That is much shorter than I thought.