Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Term Battery Costs, Fears, and Serviceability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s good results for that pack, and was it even charged carefully or was it charged to 100% on a regular basis and at 0% at regular basis?
The Volt doesn't have a charge target that you can set. If it's plugged in, it goes to ~85% SOC on the top end, and will bring the ICE range extender on at around ~25% SOC IIRC. Though I can bring the ICE on earlier in Hold or Mountain mode.

Car really won't let you go too deep into the bottom end. But I've had the battery "full" from charging then go regen straight down 1000' decent. That pushes the cells a bit over the 4V design top end according to my OBD readout. So no, this pack has been far from babied. I don't have an exact number but it's probably well north of 1500 FCE at this point.

Granted, there have been cell, module, etc failures on other people's Volts. I'm not trying to pretend GM's Voltec era, let alone Ultium, pack is bullet proof, far from it. I know I've been lucky with the performance of mine, but others haven't been so lucky. My post was more about the costs and third party options available to a limited run, decade old EV. Leaf support is orders of magnitude better at this point, even if Leaf pack longevity really isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
where have they lasted longer than Tesla expected? The oldest Tesla is only like 13 years old and I think that was expected, unexpected would be 20+ years
The first Teslas for the most part did not last 13 years, they are 13 years old and plugging along. And while there have been regressions along the way, Tesla battery tech is way better now than when Tesla started out. I really do not have any doubts that in general, Tesla batteries outlast the car

The first Teslas for the most part did not last 13 years, they are 13 years old and plugging along. And while there have been regressions along the way, Tesla battery tech is way better now than when Tesla started out. I really do not have any doubts that in general, Tesla batteries outlast the car
I hope so I would like to see my battery last 20 years

Perhaps the biggest issues for future battery development will be cost and resource intensity. Batteries will need to be cheaper and require fewer non-plentiful resources to manufacture for them to completely revolutionize transport worldwide. They are part of the way there already, but with some way to go. As I noted earlier in this thread, there are constant stories in the media about ongoing battery developments that look promising in this regard, but seem still to be some years away from production.

You shouldn’t have to micro manage a battery, 0% SoC shouldn’t matter and 100% SoC shouldn’t matter

How old a battery is shouldn’t matter only miles/charge cycles should matter

I think that’s a big difference between batteries and ICE, your battery can degrade and go bad just by being old and never driving the car but a ice engine could last 50 years or longer if you only drove the car 1,000 - 2,000 miles per year

If you drove an ev only 1,000 - 2,000 miles per year the battery would still go bad in 10-20 years just from calendar aging, that shouldn’t happen if it wants to be exactly the same as ICE, a battery that’s 50 years old but with only 30k miles should still have 95% of its capacity

"How old a battery is shouldn't matter" and later says "your battery can degrade and go bad just by being old". Help me out here, which is it?

I hope so I would like to see my battery last 20 years
Is the "general" rule of thumb is that the ev battery (in general) degrades and looses life span about ~1% each year, so after 20 years the battery will charge say up to 80% max?

Thank you for starting this thread because this is exactly my (last) fear. My situation is, i buy car to "own". Family has 2002 (Honda Odyssey, ~220K'ish miles), 2003 (~35K'ish miles BMW E39), 2004 (~29K'ish vehicles), all "well" maintained. Were there any "single" big ticket repair item? Not really, except on Odyssey the automatic transmission (widely known issue) had to be replaced. With Honda's chipping in, can't recall the exact $ for factory replacement transmission back then, but i don't think was anywhere near the typical cost to replace Tesla battery which i'm learning (varies by models) but sure to be above $10K (for new).

So overnight got me thinking, okay, if i take care of the battery maintenance and follow (all) the charging best practices, at most at the perfect scenario, after 20 years my Tesla will hold 80% state of charge. That's like saying after 20 years my BMW will hold only 80% of the gas in the fuel tank. wtf ! But at the same time, ICE vehicles will loose mpg efficiency even the best of hybrids will, if i recall. So, loosing 1% of life expectancy in current ev battery, maybe that's ok.

But then again, you pay to play with current state with ev's, right? So, as battery technology improves, and i'm sure it will, no doubt, our current battery technology ev's, for the sake of holding "resale" values, after 20 years will be worless with 20 years old battery technology.

Maybe as what Elon stated sometime back, if the battery replacement really comes to ~$7K, then that i could live with that.

"How old a battery is shouldn't matter" and later says "your battery can degrade and go bad just by being old". Help me out here, which is it?

Is the "general" rule of thumb is that the ev battery (in general) degrades and looses life span about ~1% each year, so after 20 years the battery will charge say up to 80% max?

Thank you for starting this thread because this is exactly my (last) fear. My situation is, i buy car to "own". Family has 2002 (Honda Odyssey, ~220K'ish miles), 2003 (~35K'ish miles BMW E39), 2004 (~29K'ish vehicles), all "well" maintained. Were there any "single" big ticket repair item? Not really, except on Odyssey the automatic transmission (widely known issue) had to be replaced. With Honda's chipping in, can't recall the exact $ for factory replacement transmission back then, but i don't think was anywhere near the typical cost to replace Tesla battery which i'm learning (varies by models) but sure to be above $10K (for new).

So overnight got me thinking, okay, if i take care of the battery maintenance and follow (all) the charging best practices, at most at the perfect scenario, after 20 years my Tesla will hold 80% state of charge. That's like saying after 20 years my BMW will hold only 80% of the gas in the fuel tank. wtf ! But at the same time, ICE vehicles will loose mpg efficiency even the best of hybrids will, if i recall. So, loosing 1% of life expectancy in current ev battery, maybe that's ok.

But then again, you pay to play with current state with ev's, right? So, as battery technology improves, and i'm sure it will, no doubt, our current battery technology ev's, for the sake of holding "resale" values, after 20 years will be worless with 20 years old battery technology.

Maybe as what Elon stated sometime back, if the battery replacement really comes to ~$7K, then that i could live with that.
The battery degrades less over time if you keep the charge between 30-55% as much as possible for the long range and performance vehicles

Reactions: ev919
Nope.

The 100% is refering to feeding the cells with 4.20V each until the current is below a certain limit (think - untill current stops)

A degraded battery will be able to charge to 100% but the energy it delivers will be less.

Degradation refers to delivered energy (or in some cases measured in delivered Amp-hours).
If the new cell could deliver 20Wh, and only deliveres 18Wh, it has a 10% degradation (still charges to 100%).
So overnight got me thinking, okay, if i take care of the battery maintenance and follow (all) the charging best practices, at most at the perfect scenario, after 20 years my Tesla will hold 80% state of charge.

So, the battery will not degrade 1% per year, but much more.

Calendar aging is the afing from time, and with the charging setting most people use we can expect ~ 5% the first year.

Calendar aging reduse the rate quite fast (with square root of time) so after two years you might see 7%.
After four 10%
After eight 14%
After 16 yrs 20%.
Next year, 16-17 only ”costs 0.6%.

Most Teslas hide the first 2-4% degradation so it looks better if you check the lost range.

Reactions: ev919
So if following is (more or less accurate), then after 200K miles of use, the S/X batteries should remain 90% of the initially advertised EPA est. range.

Say 90% of 326 miles, so ~293.4 of usable range from battery that has 200K miles on it, using standard 10K miles driven each year.

So, after ~20 years of "normal" annual driving of 10K miles/yr (assume mostly freeway driving), "good" charging habits through out the year (hot/cold weathers) then expect to have energy left in the battery to give the car ~293.4 miles at 100% SOC ~20 years after purchase (new). At least according to Tesla's calculation.

I could live with that if that's (mostly) true. Still not great when comparing ev and hybrid suv (apple to orange comparison though comparing ev and hybrid), where hybrid, eg. Toyota 3 row hybrid should outlast in calendar aging the range/mpg by 20% more range, over the say MX battery, after ~20 years.

1713735924875.png

Last edited:
Why would a battery need to be replaced due to degradation? Isn’t the average degradation for a 10 year old Tesla something like 10%? With LFP this becomes even less of a problem.

By the time the battery is so degraded that you will notice the car will be destined for the scrap yard.