Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Un-degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've hit the end of my research on my own and can't find anything, anywhere to the following scenario:

2020 SR+, September 2020 build date, ~30,000 miles. Daily commute of 44 miles, plus running around on the weekends, all local. Very consistent pattern of driving habits. Charging habits are the only thing that has changed over the past few months, currently charging from 45% to 80% daily since it's gotten colder. Previously was charging every few days, letting SOC get down to the 30% - 45% range, then topping off to 80%. Always let the car sleep prior to charging for at least 5 hours, then sleep 4 hours or so post-charge. I cannot figure out why I've been gaining range; not just a bit, but from a low of 218 miles @100% estimated all the way up to 226 miles @100% estimated in the space of 60 days. As far as software updates go, the increased range estimate started 3 weeks after installing 2023.27.7.

Is this a case of "a light bulb burns brightest before it burns out?" I'm not overly concerned if that is the case, I'm still well within the HV battery warranty, but not being able to figure this out is driving me nuts.

average_range.png

I've hit the end of my research on my own and can't find anything, anywhere to the following scenario:

2020 SR+, September 2020 build date, ~30,000 miles. Daily commute of 44 miles, plus running around on the weekends, all local. Very consistent pattern of driving habits. Charging habits are the only thing that has changed over the past few months, currently charging from 45% to 80% daily since it's gotten colder. Previously was charging every few days, letting SOC get down to the 30% - 45% range, then topping off to 80%. Always let the car sleep prior to charging for at least 5 hours, then sleep 4 hours or so post-charge. I cannot figure out why I've been gaining range; not just a bit, but from a low of 218 miles @100% estimated all the way up to 226 miles @100% estimated in the space of 60 days. As far as software updates go, the increased range estimate started 3 weeks after installing 2023.27.7.

Is this a case of "a light bulb burns brightest before it burns out?" I'm not overly concerned if that is the case, I'm still well within the HV battery warranty, but not being able to figure this out is driving me nuts.

View attachment 1008007
You could check your estimate by charging it to 100% so that it reaches 100% just as you leave for your daily commute.

It sounds like every other BMS adjustment discussion here that I have read, so it doesnt look any different to me than any of the other discussions on "BMS balancing".

If you predictably use 35% each day, you may want to consider charging to 55% (draining to 20%) if minimizing battery degradation is the goal. NCA batteries are likely to degrade less when spending less time over 55%.

Of course, when you need more, charge to a higher level as needed.

Reactions: Eric33432