Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC PST not correct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR+ delivery upcoming on 11/23!

Anyone encounter incorrect PST amount? Looked at the amount and it shows tax of $8,562.

Based on purchase price of $56,980 with 19" Sport upgrade it should be 9% PST + 5% GST. Instead Tesla is charging me 10+5 for 15%. It seems they're basing the PST on the new price and not the price when I ordered. They have a $900 "referral credit" adjustment listed to reduce the current list price back to the order date price.

That's a $500 sack in the face if that's how it works...

When I bought my LR AWD I couldn’t figure out the tax at first because I didn’t realize that there is a BC Luxury Tax on most Tesla cars because they are over $55,000. The luxury car tax is 12% PST and 5% GST.

PST on vehicles

That's for private sale. For new sale it's based on a sliding scale. See here:

XphKAr0.jpg

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/pst-308-vehicles.pdf

Reactions: bijan
That's for private sale. For new sale it's based on a sliding scale. See here:

XphKAr0.jpg

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/pst-308-vehicles.pdf

Note (and it may be obvious) that this includes the total car price so SR+ with just red paint puts it into the $57,000 to $124,999.99 bracket - that caught me out so total 15% tax including GST. It does seem unfair for the OP that the $500 increase bumped them into the next bracket. I would have assumed that the referral credit would have adjusted that. Have you raised it with your SA?

Reactions: Stockboy
Note (and it may be obvious) that this includes the total car price so SR+ with just red paint puts it into the $57,000 to $124,999.99 bracket - that caught me out so total 15% tax including GST. It does seem unfair for the OP that the $500 increase bumped them into the next bracket. I would have assumed that the referral credit would have adjusted that. Have you raised it with your SA?

My SA is useless lol, didn't respond once after deposit.

But, I think I'm hooped if the bill of sale shows a "referral credit" as that would mean the fair market value of the car is over $57k. It's BS as it seems to me it's due to a system limitation to display it that way. I AM only paying them $56,980, no credits!

I'll bring it up on delivery and might try to work on it after, can file a rebate application directly with the PST folks, probably easier than dealing with Tesla.

SR+ delivery upcoming on 11/23!

Anyone encounter incorrect PST amount? Looked at the amount and it shows tax of $8,562.

Based on purchase price of $56,980 with 19" Sport upgrade it should be 9% PST + 5% GST. Instead Tesla is charging me 10+5 for 15%. It seems they're basing the PST on the new price and not the price when I ordered. They have a $900 "referral credit" adjustment listed to reduce the current list price back to the order date price.

That's a $500 sack in the face if that's how it works...

Y don't you use a trade in to drop the amount of tax due. Id even consider finding a deal and purchase a used car if the math worked out.

Last edited: