Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best location for wireless router near Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
Despite what should be a strong WiFi signal, my X won't upload the latest maps. Is there a sweet spot where I should place my wireless router in the garage with my Model X for best results? There must be one optimum place, be it in the car, in front, behind, or something. Anyone know?

The Tesla barely shows a weak signal when the router is in the adjacent room, even while my laptop connects perfectly as I circle around the car rapidly loading YouTube videos via the same WiFi.

As I recall, the WiFi antenna is in the dash for the S & X (the dash end pieces... One side has the cell antenna & the other is WiFi, right?), so reception isn't going to be great in the first place. That said, I haven't had any issues with WiFi signal in the garages since switching to a single Ubiquity UniFi AC Long Range access point in the center of the house--the whole 1/2 acre property is covered now.

The Tesla barely shows a weak signal when the router is in the adjacent room, even while my laptop connects perfectly as I circle around the car rapidly loading YouTube videos via the same WiFi.
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying in the car you only have 1 BAR for WiFi? If so, and the router is in the next room I would say you have a problem with the Router. My router is like in the next room as well and I get almost full strength.

I did not have a problem before (when using multiple Apple Airport Extremes) but I also just recently changed routers to use Google Wifi mainly because I wanted the statistics (per client) and a MESH Wifi.

One wall away I only have one bar of WiFi... From a router that otherwise serves my needs with a fast, strong signal. But the info about positions of you guy's routers and Tesla orientations I find interesting. Thanks to all, please keep the info coming!