Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best place to buy Wall connecter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Non Tesla owner here but we are a two EV family. Leaf and smart ED. We are 2 to 3 years away from an upgrade. May be a model 3, long range leaf or model y. Right now our province has an 750 dollar incentive for putting in a wall mounted permanent EVSE. We already have a 40 amp juice box on a 50 amp circuit. We have 200 amp service in our town house and there is room for another 50 amp service. 60 amp if we reduce the breaker size on the juice box circuit. So, we are considering purchasing a Tesla wall connecter. What is the best location to purchase one. Shipping to Canada will be a necessity. The cheaper the better as the profesional (required) install will be about 350 bucks sooooo. Thanks for any input.

John and Angela.

Another question. I’m not sure I understand the wall connecter facility in terms of max current. It kind of implies that it can be current configured. So let’s say I have a 60 amp breaker available. Can it be configured to say max 48 amps (80 percent of 60) or is it only good for max 40 amps. This is more a curiousity question. It would allow for Tesla owning friends with dual chargers to top up a bit while hanging out at the mall etc. (We have no Supercharger in our town and only a couple hotels with destination chargers at lower currents. It would be a nice contribution to the EV community.

Another question. I’m not sure I understand the wall connecter facility in terms of max current. It kind of implies that it can be current configured. So let’s say I have a 60 amp breaker available. Can it be configured to say max 48 amps (80 percent of 60) or is it only good for max 40 amps. This is more a curiousity question. It would allow for Tesla owning friends with dual chargers to top up a bit while hanging out at the mall etc. (We have no Supercharger in our town and only a couple hotels with destination chargers at lower currents. It would be a nice contribution to the EV community.
Do you mean the Tesla HPWC Wall Connector? It goes up to 100 Amps Circuit (80 Amps actual). Where have you ever seen anything saying it's 40? The HPWC can be load balanced up to four units on one circuit, and can be set to run on circuits from 100 to 15 Amps (80 to 12 actual). This is all domestic USA/North America, of course, I'm sure it's the same for Canada as I saw our M2OC friend Trevor install his HPWC.

The UMC that comes with the car (Gen 1) was 40 Amps, and the recent ones (Gen 2) are 32 Amps. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of? See my sig for tons of charging info in Flasher's FAQ thread!

Here's the manual for the North American HPWC, which should be required reading before installing it:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439

Do you mean the Tesla HPWC Wall Connector? It goes up to 100 Amps Circuit (80 Amps actual). Where have you ever seen anything saying it's 40? The HPWC can be load balanced up to four units on one circuit, and can be set to run on circuits from 100 to 15 Amps (80 to 12 actual). This is all domestic USA/North America, of course, I'm sure it's the same for Canada as I saw our M2OC friend Trevor install his HPWC.

The UMC that comes with the car (Gen 1) was 40 Amps, and the recent ones (Gen 2) are 32 Amps. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of? See my sig for tons of charging info in Flasher's FAQ thread!

Here's the manual for the North American HPWC, which should be required reading before installing it:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439

I think I understand it now. I appreciate the reply and links. We are considering putting down a 1000 bucks on the model three sooner than later. Think we’ll get the HPWC while the incentive is on.