Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the J1772 Tesla Wall Charger charge both my 2023 Model Y and my wife's 2021 BMW 330e J1772 equipped car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned from a nearly 200 mile day trip without having to recharge on the way home. When I got home I hooked up the CC charger, again winding the cable as shown in the above picture to try to engage the damaged pilot wire. It took several attempts during which the RED Tesla light lit at the charging port. I finally got it to start, and it's running now. Additionally, the BMW service department evaluated my wife's 330e and confirmed that the charging port "is functioning normally, working on a Level 2 charger as well as the BMW supplied 120V connection without incident on two different chargers". Clearly relying upon the current CC unit is not wise.

I've also opened a request with my local Electric Utility for partial rebate on the cost of the new install. It's not clear if I'll qualify since I already have a EVSE at my home. Still, I did buy the 2023 Model Y and it was delivered at the end of April. So I do have two cars that require an EV Charging unit. We'll see how that goes, but after filling out the initial request, and speaking with their EV team, it looks like the process will be 4-6 weeks at a minimum.

Seems reasonable to contact Tesla tomorrow and order the J1772 Wall Connector. Hopefully it will arrive soon and be ready for installation when the Utility company sends an electrician to evaluate the scope of the install. I will inquire about upgrading to 60AMP service as well.

I'll update this post as I get more information - thanks to all for the help.

Last edited:
Just returned from a nearly 200 mile day trip without having to recharge on the way home. When I got home I hooked up the CC charger, again winding the cable as shown in the above picture to try to engage the damaged pilot wire. It took several attempts during which the RED Tesla light lit at the charging port. I finally got it to start, and it's running now. Additionally, the BMW service department evaluated my wife's 330e and confirmed that the charging port "is functioning normally, working on a Level 2 charger as well as the BMW supplied 120V connection without incident on two different chargers". Clearly relying upon the current CC unit is not wise.

I've also opened a request with my local Electric Utility for partial rebate on the cost of the new install. It's not clear if I'll qualify since I already have a EVSE at my home. Still, I did buy the 2023 Model Y and it was delivered at the end of April. So I do have two cars that require an EV Charging unit. We'll see how that goes, but after filling out the initial request, and speaking with their EV team, it looks like the process will be 4-6 weeks at a minimum.

Seems reasonable to contact Tesla tomorrow and order the J1772 Wall Connector. Hopefully it will arrive soon and be ready for installation when the Utility company sends an electrician to evaluate the scope of the install. I will inquire about upgrading to 60AMP service as well.

I'll update this post as I get more information - thanks to all for the help.
Don’t forget that your local BestBuy might have the Tesla EVSE in stock.

I installed the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector today.

WARNING: Be CERTAIN that your home WI-FI is a 2.4Ghz router. The Wall Connector WILL NOT WORK on a 5G network. You MUST access the internet to setup the connector and update software BEFORE the connector will charge your vehicle. My router is 5G and 2.4G, and it switches automatically based on distance to the router (Spectrum). I can’t select the frequency. It took THREE HOURS on the phone with Tesla, Spectrum mobile, Spectrum WI-FI to have them help me work through the issues so that my software could update and install. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Now that it’s working I’m very happy. Works well on the Y and my wife’s J1772 equipped BMW. Tesla J1772 plug far higher quality, lighter weight, easier connection, longer cable than my old Clipper Creek EVSE. And it works flawlessly with Tesla’s supplied J1772 adapter. Now both cars can charge with full support from the Tesla ecosystem.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

WARNING: Be CERTAIN that your home WI-FI is a 2.4Ghz router. The Wall Connector WILL NOT WORK on a 5G network. You MUST access the internet to setup the connector and update software BEFORE the connector will charge your vehicle. My router is 5G and 2.4G, and it switches automatically based on distance to the router (Spectrum). I can’t select the frequency. It took THREE HOURS on the phone with Tesla, Spectrum mobile, Spectrum WI-FI to have them help me work through the issues so that my software could update and install. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Now that it’s working I’m very happy. Works well on the Y and my wife’s J1772 equipped BMW. Tesla J1772 plug far higher quality, lighter weight, easier connection, longer cable than my old Clipper Creek EVSE. And it works flawlessly with Tesla’s supplied J1772 adapter. Now both cars can charge with full support from the Tesla ecosystem.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Good point about the 2.4 GHz network. That’s the reason I have a separate 2.4Ghz SSID, for such devices. Frankly, I now just as a matter of course, put all devices on the 2.4 GHz network since this issues come up all the time for thermostats, pool equipment, lights, etc.

Reactions: Rocky_H

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Well, this just got released, would have been PERFECT for your use case:

i just got an email from tesla…

they just announced a universal wall adapter that can be used with both types of car adapters…

available in october

Yep...what I really want is just the adapter from Tesla NACS to j1772.....from Tesla. Yes, I can buy one from teslatap, but rather have an OEM one I can trust. Then I can just use my mobile charger (which is my main charger at home) to charge the Rivian.

Reactions: Rocky_H and E90alex
This is that thing that bugs me in Internet World:

"Hey! THIS just got released!"
[Links to Youtube video]
"Oh, wow, that's great."
"I sure could have used one of those."
"That's definitely what I'm going to get."

Would SOMEONE just tell what the thing is instead of making me watch a video?

Reactions: gtae07
This is that thing that bugs me in Internet World:

"Hey! THIS just got released!"
[Links to Youtube video]
"Oh, wow, that's great."
"I sure could have used one of those."
"That's definitely what I'm going to get."

Would SOMEONE just tell what the thing is instead of making me watch a video?

Tesla Universal Wall Connector. Has a built in Magic Dock, so you can charge a Tesla and a J1772 vehicle with the same handle/EVSE. $595. Ships in October.

• Informative
I bought the J1772 Wall Connector two weeks ago. We have a Tesla and a BMW with the J1772 connector. Works great. I would have preferred the newest all in one charger, but it's not a big deal to use the supplied Tesla NACS to J1772 adapter. Only major difference is some extra functionality in the app with the new charger, and the ability to open the charge port when using the NACS connector. Nice additions, but not critical.

Do be aware that you'll need a 2.4GHz WiFi signal to complete the installation of the Wall Connector, regardless of the model you buy. It does not connect to 5G WiFi. Caveat Emptor!

If your home Wi-Fi signal does not work at the Tesla Wall Connector's installed location you can use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot to download the latest Wall Connector firmware and future Tesla Wall Connector firmware updates. When provisioning the Tesla Wall Connector you connect your phone, tablet or laptop computer to the Wall Connector's local Wi-Fi connection; no home Wi-Fi or internet connection is required to provision the Wall Connector for the 240V circuit's amperage rating, changing the Wall Connector's password, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: lencap and davewill
Gone from the web site (no longer showing as Out of Stock.)
Seems in stock to me....can order it right now ->

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Funny