Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Sunglasses Tint/Color for Reading Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my current (prescription) sunglasses, it's a little hard to read the screen. The problem is made worse by my aging eyes.

I'm not talking about any polarization issues.

Has anyone experimented with different degrees of tinting or different tint colors (e.g. gray, amber, or green) to find sunglasses that work well in bright sunshine yet still allow you to read the screen easily?

Thanks.

Interesting. For me, it's not a glare issue.

If it is not glare, is it too dim? Or screen not clear because it is too close? If it is too dim because of your sunglasses, you could adjust screen brightness. If it is not clear, do your prescription sunglasses have progressive lens? Most prescription sunglasses do not have progressive lens because they are usually for outdoor and driving.

FYI, when I wear my glasses driving, my screen is a little blur to me. I can read and see everything but just a little out of focus. I don't have progressive lens. If I need to look at my phone or the computer screen... I push my glasses up.

> Or screen not clear because it is too close?

That's mostly it. Because of my age-related presbyopia, the screen is a little out of focus. That's tolerable with regular glasses.

Not to get too technical, but with dark glasses, the pupils are a little more dilated and that makes the focus issue worse. Also, I wonder if the contrast is less depending on the color of the lenses. That's my theory, anyway.

Reading the speed is fine, but the smaller lettering in, for example, messages that appear, is more bothersome. I think I'll order some new sunglasses that aren't as dark.

I'm hoping someone will say something like, "Yeah, I changed to amber tint, and the screen is much clearer now."

You could also consider Transition XTRActive or Transition Drivewear lenses. Both of those will work inside a car and will just darken a little instead of full sunglasses dark when you are outside. That way you could wear the same pair in and out of the car.

You could also consider Transition XTRActive or Transition Drivewear lenses. Both of those will work inside a car and will just darken a little instead of full sunglasses dark when you are outside. That way you could wear the same pair in and out of the car.

Good idea. I have some regular Transitions lenses, but they don't get dark at all in the car (unless I hold them out the window for a bit, which I've been known to do).

I'll try the matte screen protector.

I have the matte screen protector from AO and I think the clarity isn't as sharp. If you are concerned about sharpness of text, you may want to reach out to Abstract Ocean for more information. They list the clarity of the Matte screen protector as 3 stars and the clarity of the HD clear screen protector as 4 stars. Just a thought...

Has anyone experimented with different degrees of tinting or different tint colors (e.g. gray, amber, or green) to find sunglasses that work well in bright sunshine yet still allow you to read the screen easily?

Back to your original question though, I have been driving lately with my Oakley Prizm trail running sunglasses because of the increased contrast. Oakley calls the base color of the lens Rose, but the colors are not distorted to me personally. I used to drive with both Oakley and Maui Jim grey lens sunglasses, but switched after I installed the matte screen protector.

I also trade off with Maui Jim sunglasses with a "bronze" lens and the contrast to me is higher than the grey lenses also.

I have a lot of sunglasses because to me personally, I like to switch them out based on the weather, lighting and road conditions....

> Or screen not clear because it is too close?

That's mostly it. Because of my age-related presbyopia, the screen is a little out of focus. That's tolerable with regular glasses.

Not to get too technical, but with dark glasses, the pupils are a little more dilated and that makes the focus issue worse. Also, I wonder if the contrast is less depending on the color of the lenses. That's my theory, anyway.

Reading the speed is fine, but the smaller lettering in, for example, messages that appear, is more bothersome. I think I'll order some new sunglasses that aren't as dark.

I'm hoping someone will say something like, "Yeah, I changed to amber tint, and the screen is much clearer now."

I don't see much improvement with amber, unless it is tending toward yellow. My Maui Jim greys are horrible for interior focus. So, i use a less expensive amber/yellow with readers at 1.25 - 1.50. Works for me. And, speaking of older eyes, I don't tolerate dark interiors well. I love the white.

Love my Maui Jim’s, yes these are 300.00 - 350.00 but if you’re in Hawaii, go check out the Costco there, I got these for $96.00 and the box reads $300.00. Also Costco online has them from $96 - $120.00 depending on the type.

Never had any issues viewing the screen with my 2 sets of Maui Jim’s. It’s like they are not on, a quick scan of the screen and back to driving. Also very effective in driving into sun glare.

Screen is set to 13% and in Auto mode in this picture.

I also have Matt Shumaker’s adjustable screen mount that enables your screen to face your view directly to the screen and also preventing any side glare. The mod helps a lot. Matt’s YouTube page is called Tech Forum.

Fred

E942C48B-5808-4680-A9C1-5DF9B3041C88.jpeg

Love my Maui Jim’s, yes these are 300.00 - 350.00 but if you’re in Hawaii, go check out the Costco there, I got these for $96.00 and the box reads $300.00. Also Costco online has them from $96 - $120.00 depending on the type.

Never had any issues viewing the screen with my 2 sets of Maui Jim’s. It’s like they are not on, a quick scan of the screen and back to driving. Also very effective in driving into sun glare.

Screen is set to 13% and in Auto mode in this picture.

I also have Matt Shumaker’s adjustable screen mount that enables your screen to face your view directly to the screen and also preventing any side glare. The mod helps a lot. Matt’s YouTube page is called Tech Forum.

Fred

View attachment 511859

Nice clarity and contrast. What do they call that lens tint?