Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best use for the center console storage area...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
...is storing a quart of Marianne's Ice Cream (Irish Coffee and Chocolate Chip this time).

During tonight's trip in the 3 to Santa Cruz to hear Tiran Porter play in a band at Seabright Brewery, my wife and I stopped at Marianne's on the way out of town and picked up some ice cream. First thought about putting it into the frunk as that was probably the coldest area of the car but decided against it as I recalled reading somebody's story here about an object accidentally hitting the escape switch in the frunk and opening the hood. Got into the car and was about the put the quart on the floor in the back when my wife said, "Isn't there a storage bin right here?". It fit with plenty of room. Now to figure out how to insulate it and turn that area into a cooler :) .

Sidebar: The car drove great! Smooth and quiet all the way there and back. Handled the curves better than my BMW 323i, but of course that car is 18 years old. Suspension is more comfortable than the Turo rental I had back in January. That car had a VIN in the high 700s so Tesla made the right changes. Maintained the same amount of charge from the summit down down Highway 17 into Santa Cruz. On the return trip, I actually gained 4 miles from the summit down into Los Gatos, all the while going about 55 to 65MPH.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
Ditto the recommendation for Marianne's Ice Cream. Ginger, for me. But, if it fit with plenty of room, you clearly didn't buy enough ice cream...

Are your thoughts about active cooling of the area, or just an insulated tub to drop inside?

• Funny
Reactions: RayK
I was thinking of buying one of those small 12v coolers sized for a 6 pack and trying to remove the outer plastic and trim it until it fits snug. If it works it would be perfect for road trips. No need to pull over to get a cold drink and nothing to take up space in the cabin.