Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Better than people realize"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As reported by electrek, during a conference call following Tesla's Q4 2019 financial results, Elon was quoted as saying there is even more to the Cybertruck, stating there was information the public doesn't have yet.
They speculate new battery cells since they were not elaborated on at the reveal, and could be the reason for the impressive lower cost.
The comments range from speculation of amphibious, to sealed pressurized cabin for underwater use, since his fascination with the James Bond underwater car, to pressurized for space use with carbon dioxide scrubbers.
With ideas such as putting a Roadster in space, it is certainly conceivable to put the first payload of the BFR on Mars with a Cybertruck to roam the martian landscape. What better advertisement just before the first deliveries waiting for your own Mars Rover?

amp

I was thinking about this for a few days and I break up this statement into 2 categories.

1 - "The release version of the cyber truck will have better stats than what you saw" So, faster 0-60, longer range, more storage, smaller footprint, more towing

2 - "There are features that you will like that has not been talked about" This one is obviously the most interesting side. So I started thinking and listing out a few things

Spacex package? Tons of room back in the bed, you could totally put a rocket engine back there
360 degree cameras for parking
night vision?

I am excited to find out, but It's probably just like extra cupholders.

Reactions: Brennerman
I was thinking about this for a few days and I break up this statement into 2 categories.

1 - "The release version of the cyber truck will have better stats than what you saw" So, faster 0-60, longer range, more storage, smaller footprint, more towing

2 - "There are features that you will like that has not been talked about" This one is obviously the most interesting side. So I started thinking and listing out a few things

Spacex package? Tons of room back in the bed, you could totally put a rocket engine back there
360 degree cameras for parking
night vision?

I am excited to find out, but It's probably just like extra cupholders.

So already they are getting better stats for the truck now! Wow, I can’t wait till we seem them mass produced.

I would pay extra for night vision!

So already they are getting better stats for the truck now! Wow, I can’t wait till we seem them mass produced.

I would pay extra for night vision!
One interesting side effect of having flat glass for a windshield vs. curved is I assume it would be easier to project a wide-view HUD onto flat glass without the distortion. We already have an interior camera that can detect head position. I’m still curious to see if they fully utilized the engineer they poached from the HUD Motorcycle Helmet startup Skully.

Reactions: Brennerman
At the reveal Elon said when the Cybertruck beat the Porsche 911 in the quarter mile, that the truck on stage was the actual truck. The truck on stage was a 2 motor, not even the 3 motor. According to Car and Driver, the 911 Carrera S does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 11.2 seconds (Feb 2020 issue, p70). If the Dual motor is capable of beating that, the stats listed at the reveal are very understated.

Just realized I compared vs the 911 Carrera S and not the base Carrera. Still, the base Carrera does 0-60 in 3.8 to 4 Seconds depending on where I look it up. The dual motor speed is still understated, but not by nearly as much as my previous post which I can't seem to edit.

Just realized I compared vs the 911 Carrera S and not the base Carrera. Still, the base Carrera does 0-60 in 3.8 to 4 Seconds depending on where I look it up. The dual motor speed is still understated, but not by nearly as much as my previous post which I can't seem to edit.
Realize too though that Tesla could have removed all the software locks intended to keep owners from burning up their vehicles in the first week of ownership.

That test dual motor may greatly exceed what the production dual can achieve in owner's hands.