Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black screen 1st time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I unlocked the car and unlocked the charging port with my app.
Walked out and got in the car and had a totally black screen.
Mirrors did not unfold.
Turn signals did not work.
But could drive.

Stopped and reset the computer via brake pedal and both buttons and it took 3 reset attempts before I got the Tesla sign.

Then things were ok.

I've seen so many posts about black screens ( many while driving ) that I'm not uncertain about the reliability of this car.

I had this happen about 3 times in the 2 months I have owned the car but each time it fixed itself right away and it hasn't happened once since the last update about 2 weeks ago. Hopefully not a big deal? That is the only issue we have ever had. Amazing car otherwise.

First of all, you probably did not need to actually do the reboot (unless you gave it a few minutes). The black screen usually means that it's in the process of rebooting and you just have to wait for it to boot up.

Second though, contrary to what Consumer Reports says, the screen rebooting is not a reliability issue, it's a software issue. There is a bug somewhere in there that is causing it to reboot (most likely). A future software update will likely fix that bug, and then another future software update will reintroduce a new bug that will cause it to crash. Unfortunately it's the nature of the "smartphone on wheels". When Windows machines give you the blue screen of death, you don't call it an unreliable computer, you call it a $#!++y operating system. Same thing here. Some software updates are buggier than others. It would be nice, particularly since our cars are all connected and there is probably no reason a dump couldn't be sent immediately back to Tesla and a patch released in short order to resolve, if these episodes were fairly short lived, because yes, it is disconcerting to be driving along with a blank screen.

Now if you did give it several minutes before the screen booted up and still no luck, then yes, I would probably take it in for service. But I think most of the time this can be easily explained as a software bug.

First of all, you probably did not need to actually do the reboot (unless you gave it a few minutes). The black screen usually means that it's in the process of rebooting and you just have to wait for it to boot up.

Second though, contrary to what Consumer Reports says, the screen rebooting is not a reliability issue, it's a software issue. There is a bug somewhere in there that is causing it to reboot (most likely). A future software update will likely fix that bug, and then another future software update will reintroduce a new bug that will cause it to crash. Unfortunately it's the nature of the "smartphone on wheels". When Windows machines give you the blue screen of death, you don't call it an unreliable computer, you call it a $#!++y operating system. Same thing here. Some software updates are buggier than others. It would be nice, particularly since our cars are all connected and there is probably no reason a dump couldn't be sent immediately back to Tesla and a patch released in short order to resolve, if these episodes were fairly short lived, because yes, it is disconcerting to be driving along with a blank screen.

Now if you did give it several minutes before the screen booted up and still no luck, then yes, I would probably take it in for service. But I think most of the time this can be easily explained as a software bug.

I drove probably 1/4 mile before I pulled over to try to fix it.

This morning I unlocked the car and unlocked the charging port with my app.
Walked out and got in the car and had a totally black screen.
Mirrors did not unfold.
Turn signals did not work.
But could drive.

Stopped and reset the computer via brake pedal and both buttons and it took 3 reset attempts before I got the Tesla sign.

Then things were ok.

I've seen so many posts about black screens ( many while driving ) that I'm not uncertain about the reliability of this car.
On 12.1.2 that happened every time I woke the car from sleep. 2019.16.1 arrived today. I’m going out tonight and will see what happens when I wake the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Black or gray fuzzy screen happening on my new M3P almost every morning (regardless of overnight charging) - I am on update 2019.32.12.2 and this issue has persisted trough several updates until this one. Tesla service is aware of the issue and my appointment is scheduled on 20th this month.