Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Black/Blank

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The past two weeks my screen has been blank/black four times now when getting into the car for the first drive of the day. This hasn't happened ever in the previous two years. I do a two button reset and all is well after that. I opened up a service ticket so hoping they'll correct. But, wondering if there are any thoughts what might be going on or causing.

when is the last time you formatted your Sentry / USB storage?
Hmm, I'm guessing well over a year, and could be two. Could that be a possible cause? I'm certainly okay with taking it out, re-formatting and loading music back on.

Service just requested last hang/blackout/blank screen. I let them know. Does this mean they may be looking at data?

Hmm, I'm guessing well over a year, and could be two. Could that be a possible cause? I'm certainly okay with taking it out, re-formatting and loading music back on.

Service just requested last hang/blackout/blank screen. I let them know. Does this mean they may be looking at data?
It probably means that they are looking at the logs around when you reported it happened.

If you have the drive partitioned, perhaps you can just format that partition. At the very least, I would suggest taking the drive out, deleting all the files off the TeslaCam folder, and then putting it back in.

I have seen reports of people having that symptom (screen issues) that ended up being root cause of the USB drive plugged in for sentry.

Took out the drive and reformatted and put back in. The TelsaCam folder/partition was full, 250GB. Maybe it was having difficulties with no space left? Although, I thought it was supposed to be able to maintain itself. Or it did for a while. Hopefully, that does the trick. But, will also be curious to what Tesla service states

It probably means that they are looking at the logs around when you reported it happened.
Yep, they apparently took a look around. They stated they found USB alerts and recommend I remove the USB drive and monitor to see if that clears things up, instead of them coming out. Instead, I'm going with your suggestion of the format, which I did, and I'll see if that does the trick. If not, I will then remove the USB and see if that does it. Then, go from there.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Reactions: jjrandorin
Yep, they apparently took a look around. They stated they found USB alerts and recommend I remove the USB drive and monitor to see if that clears things up, instead of them coming out. Instead, I'm going with your suggestion of the format, which I did, and I'll see if that does the trick. If not, I will then remove the USB and see if that does it. Then, go from there.

Thanks for your suggestion!

I just re format my drive every 3-4 months, since I dont use it for music at all. I have read a few different threads with this specific symptom, so I am cautiously optimistic that this will work for you.

Apologies for reviving an older thread, but this has happened twice in the last 3 days when getting in the car, the screen remains black. It is the first time this has happened in 10 months of ownership.

2021 Model 3 LR, release v11.1 (2024.2.2.1)

I will try the USB format thing, but I also have a partition with music on there. So is it definitely a USB issue, and if so, would sentry mode be affected while the car is "asleep"