Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And UK Pricing:
BMW UK today announced the pricing of one of the most anticipated cars in its history. The all-new BMW i3 will be delivered to customers in the UK in November, 2013 with a leasing price starting from just £369* a month.
Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management, Sales and Marketing BMW, said: “The BMW i3 heralds the dawn of a new era for individual mobility and for the BMW Group. True to a genuine BMW, the BMW i3 has strong emotional appeal, outstanding product substance and a guarantee of sheer driving pleasure. With this leading-edge vehicle and compelling price, we will provide customers with an attractive offer for electromobility.”

Customers entering into an agreement for an all-electrically powered BMW i3 can embark on a world of electric motoring by signing up to a 36 month contract and paying an initial £2,995 (incl. VAT) followed by monthly payments of £369 (incl. VAT) and contract mileage of 24,000miles.

Those customers who wish to buy the BMW i3 outright can do so from £25,680 OTR** for the all electric car, while the price for the range extender version, that features an additional 650cc two-cylinder petrol engine to maintain the battery charge and extend the range to an approximate 180 miles on one tank of fuel, will be announced at a later date.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pres...=8&id=T0143908EN_GB&left_menu_item=node__2201

And for Canada...

BMW Group Canada today announced the base price of $44,950 for the BMW i3, the company’s first all-electric series production vehicle. The BMW i3 will be available to customers in Canada in the first half of 2014.

This looks like a good option to me with the $8500 Ontario tax credit while we wait for the Tesla Gen 3.

Well this is interesting...

BMW's New Electric Car Just Became a Major Problem (BAMXF, TSLA)

Now, compare the above to BMW's all-electric i3: According to BMW, the i3 has a pure-electric range of 80-100 miles, thanks to its lithium-ion battery, and has an optional range extender that lengthens that initial range by 80 miles. Plus, thanks to BMW's eDrive technology, a driver can extend the initial range up to 124 miles by putting the vehicle in one of the "EcoPro" modes.

So, $41K to go 124 miles on Electric? I'll believe it when I see it, but if BMW can pull this off hats off to them.

I have a hard time to see the i3 as a threat to Tesla Model S :confused:. Half the price, half the range, 4 seats, much less cargo space. And the range extender is an option that will cost 4 figures $.
There are just too many real-world things a Model S can do and an i3 can't. Well it's all about consumer perception. At least, i3 will make lots of people look at driving electric that dismissed the thought altogether in the past.

I have a hard time to see the i3 as a threat to Tesla Model S :confused:. Half the price, half the range, 4 seats, much less cargo space. And the range extender is an option that will cost 4 figures $.
There are just too many real-world things a Model S can do and an i3 can't. Well it's all about consumer perception. At least, i3 will make lots of people look at driving electric that dismissed the thought altogether in the past.

It's such a different car they really don't compete for the same customer. Of course there will be some limited crossover, but very limited. About the only thing these cars have in common is they are electric. The only thing to really wonder about is that the market for EV's isn't that wide yet so any EV kind of competes with every other one. However as EV's go there is the Model S and there is everything else. The i3 is definitely in the everything else category. I personally like it and I think it's going to sell pretty well (20,000+ worldwide per year) but I agree, it's not a legitimate threat to the Model S. However I do see the second generation i3 a head to head Blue Star competitor.

BMW i3 and i8

Anyone see this? the i3 i think is still a joke to compare to the Model S but the i8, when ever that car is ready.... could the first actual competitor to the MS. more scary is that the i3 is going to be in the gen 3 wheel house. Tesla does have a slit advantage now that they know what they need to compete with from BMW

BMW's New Electric Car Just Became a Major Problem (BAMXF, TSLA)

Last edited:
I see the i3 as a clear threat to the Leafs, Volts, Sparks, Focus, and perhaps Fusion. And perhaps to the future MB B-Series and Tesla Gen 3. Not to the MS. I have a Volt and MS. The Volts lease ends 10/14. I have been looking for options to replace it. The i3 seems like a leading contender. Want to see it in person. But if I had to say right now, it would be either the i3 or the MB B. The B will likely go further as a pure BEV. But the possibility of a range extender is nice. I
L have time to seeif Tesla does build out the SCs as promised. If so, then I won't need the range extender. Bt if not, then I'll need one car that I could drive 300-400 miles in if need be. And the i3 with range extender would do it,even if I needed to gas up every 125 miles. (With 2 kids under 5, I'd probably need to anyways :))

Consider this: The i3, designed from the ground up as an EV, has received praise from some of the industry's harshest EV critics. As BBC's "Top Gear" drivers put it:
At first sampling, then, this is a compelling electric car. It's not the first on the market, but BMW has put some original thinking into almost every part of its design and engineering. It drives sweetly, is distinctively designed, and has the reassuring range-extender option if you are anxious about running flat.
These are the same critics that gave Tesla's Roadster a less than glowing report -- in fact, Tesla sued the show for "libel and malicious falsehood" because of the review.

"Critics"??? He actually considers Top Gear a review show? LOL. Credibility into toilet...

The i3 will put pricing pressure on Mercedes-Benz, with the Tesla-based B Class Electric Drive due to hit the market around the same time. The two are much more comparable in size, but I had previously heard rumors that the Mercedes could go for upwards of $60k. There's no way the market will support that anymore, and this should force them down into the $40's. It might be the best way to get into a Tesla-light before Gen III.

i3 is not thread to model s but gen3 model.

if tesla can make 200 miles gen3 in 3-4 years in that case BMW has enough cushion to improve the 125 miles range to 200.

we will see what happens but it is interesting time for affordable range EV..