Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Work Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sad to say that my P3D+ was smashed to smithereens yesterday on the 110 freeway south of Pasadena, CA. Total damage is estimated to be about $10k.

The worst part, however, is that the Tesla-authorized body shop says Tesla has been taking 2-3 months to fulfill orders on body panels and parts. The work can be completed in about a week once parts are in, but Tesla apparently shows no urgency when it comes to getting those parts out.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of delay? You'd think that a company that's cranking out 80k cars a quarter would be able to fulfill parts orders in a relatively timely fashion.

No. The parts for my rear quarter panel accident took 14 business days to arrive. (~$10k) They also broke the glass roof while trying to get it out, and it took 2 weeks to come in. I’m scheduled to pick my car up on Monday. Not sure why your shop is telling you it’s 2-3 months for Model 3 parts.

I wrote to Tesla's Body Shop Team to get a reply. This is their somewhat disturbing response:

Depending on which parts need to be ordered, some of them can take 2 to 3 months to complete.

After your insurance adjuster looks at the vehicle and the shop places the order, the parts team has to pick, pack and ship them to the body shop from the distribution centers. The pick, pack and ship process can take up to 3 weeks if the parts are in stock or longer if they are not in stock.

After that, it can take up to a week to ship from the distribution center to your body shop.
o_O Up to three weeks to pick pack and ship parts that are in stock? I saw the parts list - this means they are picking about 3 parts from the list per day on average. I have visions of Grand Maester Pycelle sending a Raven to the Conclave for each and every part individually.