Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

body work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I'm considering buying a 2016 90D for a great price- the only issue is that it has some light rear panel damage- the Tesla Body shops I called gave ridiculously high estimates for repair- However my previous Mercedes body shop said they could repair it for a fraction of the cost- no problem- Could anyone give me the name of an affordable but good repair shop in Los Angeles, or
upload_2018-12-29_19-40-21.jpeg
Orange County area?

I see you are new to tesla.
Because you have no clue on why we are forced to take our cars to certified tesla repair shops.

They are ridiculously expensive, because they do not patch, they just replace, when possible.

Sure they can probably fix it, they will most likely try to pull it out, and bondo the hell out of it to match the contour lines.
And that rear light assembly will not get replaced unless they source a used one from 2nd hand market, because tesla is like apple care, and will not sell to non authorized.

But if that doesnt bother you, then take it around a couple of places.
I would look for a place which specializes in aluminum body and frame.

It is possible to get a Tesla repaired at a non certified body shop. Not recommended but possible. It is true that Tesla will not sell parts to non authorized shops but the shops can get parts from the Tesla service center in your area. The non certified shops will use your VIN to order parts from the service center, parts come to service center, body shop picks them up.

I'm not saying this is ideal but it can be done. I tried to go through certified body shop for work and was quoted a 7 month wait time. I found a non certified shop that had worked on a few Tesla's, they did a great job. Still a hassle to actually get the parts through Tesla but they repaired my car in 6 weeks. 5 of those weeks were waiting on Tesla to ship parts or correcting what they did ship (3 times).

Only negative about Tesla is this body repair problem they have, car is spectacular in every other way.

Somebody backed into a pole.

The problem is that crease down by the bumper cover. Otherwise you could get it done by paintless dent repair.

It'll have to be done by a body man. I had a similar but worse dent on the back quarter and hired a random guy from Craigslist. He did it cheap and did a good job.

I hate it when ppl senselessly retread the old saw "YMMV" so I'll just say that people are different.

I would talk to a paint less dent repair expert. If he/she can work the dent in the aluminum out, and I am optimistic they could, any body shop could respect the bumper and scratched panel. If you need that dented aluminum panel replaced, think carefully before not using a certified shop. The bumper cover is no different than any other car. Plastic... not aluminum.

It is possible to get a Tesla repaired at a non certified body shop. Not recommended but possible. It is true that Tesla will not sell parts to non authorized shops but the shops can get parts from the Tesla service center in your area. The non certified shops will use your VIN to order parts from the service center, parts come to service center, body shop picks them up.

I'm not saying this is ideal but it can be done. I tried to go through certified body shop for work and was quoted a 7 month wait time. I found a non certified shop that had worked on a few Tesla's, they did a great job. Still a hassle to actually get the parts through Tesla but they repaired my car in 6 weeks. 5 of those weeks were waiting on Tesla to ship parts or correcting what they did ship (3 times).

Only negative about Tesla is this body repair problem they have, car is spectacular in every other way.

Thanks for the reply! What is the name of the non certified shop you went to? I will call them for a bid_

Somebody backed into a pole.

The problem is that crease down by the bumper cover. Otherwise you could get it done by paintless dent repair.

It'll have to be done by a body man. I had a similar but worse dent on the back quarter and hired a random guy from Craigslist. He did it cheap and did a good job.

I hate it when ppl senselessly retread the old saw "YMMV" so I'll just say that people are different.

Thanks so much for the reply- What is the name of the guy who did your rear panel repair? I will try calling him_

I would talk to a paint less dent repair expert. If he/she can work the dent in the aluminum out, and I am optimistic they could, any body shop could respect the bumper and scratched panel. If you need that dented aluminum panel replaced, think carefully before not using a certified shop. The bumper cover is no different than any other car. Plastic... not aluminum.

Thanks for the reply- Yes, I actually contacted a paintless dent repair guy earlier today and he said he could fix it- (Rich from Auto Recon

I see you are new to tesla.
Because you have no clue on why we are forced to take our cars to certified tesla repair shops.

They are ridiculously expensive, because they do not patch, they just replace, when possible.

Sure they can probably fix it, they will most likely try to pull it out, and bondo the hell out of it to match the contour lines.
And that rear light assembly will not get replaced unless they source a used one from 2nd hand market, because tesla is like apple care, and will not sell to non authorized.

But if that doesnt bother you, then take it around a couple of places.
I would look for a place which specializes in aluminum body and frame.

Thanks for the reply- do you happen to know of a decent aluminum repair shop in Los Angeles?

Thanks for the reply- Yes, I actually contacted a paintless dent repair guy earlier today and he said he could fix it- (Rich from Auto Recon