Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair Negligence or Coincidence?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla family! Let me begin by apologizing if this is being posted in the wrong location (please reach out if there is a better location for me to post). I could really use some advice on how to proceed with a Tesla repair nightmare:

Back in May, my wife was in a minor accident with her 2012 Tesla Model S that required some body repairs (mostly impacting the passenger front quarter panel but also along the entire passenger side). We filed a claim with our Tesla Insurance representative and dropped the vehicle off at the local Tesla body repair shop (Fix Auto in Brea, CA). The repairs took two months to complete as they needed to order replacement body panels. However, once the repairs completed the repair shop was unable to power on the vehicle. The repair shop originally thought that a replacement 12v battery was necessary, but the vehicle failed to power on after it was replaced.

The body shop then had the vehicle towed to the local Tesla Service Center (Buena Park). The technicians at the service center were able to find an issue with condensation in the main drive motor that requires a full replacement (~$10k). The insurance adjuster stated that this is a wear item and will not be covered under the insurance claim.

Is this accurate? Do we just have terrible luck and this happened to occurred while the vehicle was in the possession of the body repair company? Or do people more knowledgeable about these issues suspect that this could have occurred due to improper storage while the vehicle was at the body shop?

We had no problems with the vehicle starting up or running before the accident. In fact, I drove the vehicle from the accident scene to the body shop without issue. The body shop stated that they had disassembled the vehicle to see what repairs were necessary to submit a claim to the insurance adjuster. As I mentioned, the repairs took place over a period of two months while awaiting parts which included weeks of heavy rain in California. Furthermore, whenever I would contact the repair shop for updates, the supervisor assured me that he walks past our vehicle every day on his way into the shop so it was on his mind.

Could it be possible that the damage occurred to the motor by the repair shop storing the vehicle improperly (either disassembled or in such a way that the accident damage could have allowed rain or other water to impacted the motor)? Or am I just being paranoid and reluctant to pay a large repair bill for an issue that occurred while the vehicle was not in my possession? I only learned of the condensation issue today after speaking to the service center directly when they contacted me to inform me that the vehicle would begin accruing storage fees if the estimate wasn't approved by either myself or the insurance claim. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
-Nate

I just asked my wife to proof-read my post (I should have done that before posting!) and she pointed out that I listed the dates wrong. I just looked over my notes and the accident occurred on March 25th, the vehicle was reassembled on May 12th, it was driven to the Tesla Service Center on May 18th for 'calibrations and to have the system purged', it was driven back to the repair shop on May 19th for final cleaning, the issues with the vehicle powering on occurred at the repair shop on May 22nd, and the vehicle was towed to the service center in June 5th after a 12v battery replacement and remote diagnostics failed. I had forgotten that the vehicle had been driven back and forth between the repair center and the service center after reassembly (this seems to counter my assumption that it could have occurred while undergoing initial repairs). Sorry for any confusion!

Sorry for all of the updates but I'm trying to be as accurate as possible with the description. The wording from the repair center was that "... vehicle assembly was completed but was sent up today to Tesla to have the calibrations as well as the systems purged..." on May 18th and "...your vehicle was brought back over from Tesla shortly ago..." on May 19th so I don't know if it was actually driven between the repair center and service center or if it had been shipped / towed. With that said, I would be very surprised if the car was sent back from the service center to the repair center if it was not functioning properly. Hopefully this will be the last clarification...