Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot struts touching rubber side panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my model 3 SR+ last week, but i have noticed that my left strut toucher the rubber sealing on the left side of the boot while opening and closing. The right side does not touch.

I can accept certain tolerances in the car, but i am worried that the friction might damage the left side sealing. I have uploaded an image where you can see the sealing. Should i be worried, or is within "the normal"

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 119
I have the same problem on my 2020 P3D. Seems the lid is a bit too far right. I only noticed this because I kept hearing a squeaking sound on the left side every time I opened/closed the trunk (boot), and realized the strut was rubbing on the seal. Pretty sure over time, depending on how much use the trunk gets, that it will cause damage to the seal. I plan to get it fixed.

Mine is about the same. There's no room to move the lid more to the left because the panel gap on the left is already smaller than the panel gap on the right, and any more to the left and the lid would rub the body.

It's a problem with the mounting points for the lift strut. I don't see the seal wearing out too fast from this light rubbing, so I am not worried about it. Plus I am sure we would get an "it's within spec" from the Tesla Service Center.

If you're really worried about the seal, put a little silicon grease on that area to reduce the friction.

Reactions: 19P3D