Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot / rear glass rubber seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow M3 owners, anyone who has a 2021 China built M3 with the power trunk can check this for me please.

The rubber seal on the passenger side (left) rear boot, just by the rear glass and the boot struts seems to be torn. Tesla says that's how it is supposed to be, for the power tailgate mechanism to move. On my car it seems just torn away. See pictures. I have also take a picture of the other (right) side where the rubber seal is complete.

Thank you in advance for any inputs. Have a great day.

PXL_20220713_184308395~2.jpg
PXL_20220713_184254272~2.jpg
PXL_20220713_184248523~2.jpg

The original M3 design didn't cater for electric strut, hence, the right side (driver or passenger, depending on where you live) has complete rubber seal whereas the left side was slit off to cater for the later-added electric strut (with the wider rubber boot). This has been documented for a while now.. :p

Upvote 0
The original M3 design didn't cater for electric strut, hence, the right side (driver or passenger, depending on where you live) has complete rubber seal whereas the left side was slit off to cater for the later-added electric strut (with the wider rubber boot). This has been documented for a while now.. :p
Thanks Ernest. YEs, did read up the other threads which did not come up based on my first set of keyword search (hey ho! you always get the answer after you've asked) :)

This seems to be the work of some nincompoomp who decided the best thing to do was to cut off rubber to make space for a electric strut that would once in a while rub the rubber ! #headbang. You cannot explain some things that are very Tesla!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So what I did instead of letting water and debris going through the left side is that, have a P-seal stuck beneath the original rubber so that the slightly extended P-seal would be in contact with the boot lid on closing, yet still flexible enough to allow for the strut's rubber to pass through.

Thank you. Awesome! Exactly what I have been looking for. Let me get that and fit it

Upvote 0