Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bose wants to keep the sounds of the road out of your vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm amazed it has taken so long to get round to developing noise cancelling systems in cars. Maybe it's just a lot harder to implement in a large scale environment vs headphones? I guess it requires a lot more audio power to suppress the noise effectively, plus the system still needs to supply high quality music audio on top.

Since there is a microphone in the cabin, it should be possible to implement noise cancelling or at least noise reduction in the audio system, though it may take MCU2 to have enough processing power to do this in real-time.

Noise cancelling is important not only for listening to media being played, it's also very useful for suppressing the background noise when you're talking on a phone call or trying to do voice commands.

I want something that could automatically adjust the media and navigation volume depending on noise level. There generally is a correlation to speed of the car so it could be a simple solution that takes travel speed into account. It wouldn't be perfect but neither is the current situation.

I want something that could automatically adjust the media and navigation volume depending on noise level. There generally is a correlation to speed of the car so it could be a simple solution that takes travel speed into account. It wouldn't be perfect but neither is the current situation.

The Model 3 had speed sensitive volume when I bought it. In typical Tesla fashion, it was fascinatingly buggy and liked to turn the volume up to MAX over and over again while you were travelling at a set speed on cruise control. Not sure why that was so hard to implement, but it was quickly removed during a software update and I haven’t seen the checkbox for it since.

That's quite a common feature in other cars, but it's usually quite irritating and best switched off!

Noise cancelling is important not only for listening to media being played, it's also very useful for suppressing the background noise when you're talking on a phone call or trying to do voice commands.

It's ONLY function is to suppress background noise whatever you happen to be doing. That's the whole point of it! Obviously it has to work alongside the media player so as not to suppress that sound too. All pretty commonplace in headphones for many years, but only recently discussed in cars. I believe the iPace may have some sort of noise cancelling function, but not sure.

This technology has been around for more than a decade. It plays a role in reducing vehicle weight to meet CARB requirements as it allows manufacturers to leave out material dedicated to noise reduction. The only thing new here is the branding and I don't even think that is new.

Odd this is a "new" article...

My 2014 Cadillac ELR has Bose noise cancelling in it. There are 3 extra microphones (one on the roof, near the door, for each front seat and one in the middle of the back seat). I think it was offered in other GM vehicles too.

-J

Tesla seems to make non-car people take interest in cars. There is definitely some amazing new technology but people are also thinking that tech that's been around for decades is also new and amazing.

It blows my mind that someone in a different thread was amazed that Tesla had side view mirrors that could defrost themselves. :D

Tesla seems to make non-car people take interest in cars. There is definitely some amazing new technology but people are also thinking that tech that's been around for decades is also new and amazing.

It blows my mind that someone in a different thread was amazed that Tesla had side view mirrors that could defrost themselves. :D

I'm still trying to figure out that "closer than they appear..." thing. Amazing!! ;-)

• Love
Reactions: KyleDay

But in this case, this is feature that Tesla does NOT have. I don't think it's actually all that commonplace in other cars either. For example Porsche don't have noise cancelling on their Bose systems and actually do the opposite by piping artificial engine sound into their cars. The focus is still very much on physical sound proofing to reduce road, engine and wind noise.

A Tesla with effective road/wind noise cancellation would be amazing and I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. I think Jaguar may have done something with the iPace, but only to reduce the whine of the electric motor - and then added the option of piping in some artificial sound instead!

It's ONLY function is to suppress background noise whatever you happen to be doing. That's the whole point of it! Obviously it has to work alongside the media player so as not to suppress that sound too. All pretty commonplace in headphones for many years, but only recently discussed in cars. I believe the iPace may have some sort of noise cancelling function, but not sure.
This has been available in small/medium sized aircraft for years. It has worked very well, partly becasue teh most intrusive aircraft noise from propellers/engines/wind noise, etc are in specific enduring frequency ranges. Clearly this is an evolution of technology that Bose originated a ~40 years ago with aircraft noise cancelling headsets. The primary problem with larger installations is the basic equipment cost and the energy required to work well as teh scale increases. Zero impediments exist today other than cost and energy requirements. There have been several modest attempts using installed audio systems, but none end out really doing the job well.

I am definitely NOT up-to-date on thsi subject but I am ready to be a buyer if anything can approach teh magical improvement I had in a King Air many years ago. It was not mine, I flew it as part of a demonstration trying to sell me. I opted out, with dismay, when I found out the price!

Today, when teh tesla experience is so quiet, road, wind and tire noise becomes intrusive. This time I am very ready to buy.