Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought FSD for $2K, what should i see?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jwlsh

Sep 28, 2018
NJ
Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered, I searched but couldn't find a good answer. I have a 2018 Model S 75D. When I bought it last year ( Sept ) it came with EAP but I didn't buy the FSD option at the time. When they had the recent sale on FSD for $2K, I bought it.

Since i bought it, I haven't seen any prompt in the car to install it, I don't see it in the option codes for my car on Remote S. I did get a confirmation email for the purchase and the option to purchase has disappeared from my account.

I contacted support and they said they pushed it. Haven't seen anything. Was in for Service last week, asked them and they said they see it on the config for my care but it's being held until they roll it out. Not sure what that really means.

Has anyone here bought the recent FSD upgrade and have you seen anything happen afterwards in the car?

Thanks!

...anything happen afterwards...

For 2019 AP people, they just got:

1) Steering within its lane (current 2019 Autopilot and EAP feature)
2) TACC=smart/adaptive cruise(current 2019 Autopilot and EAP feature)

If they then buy FSD, they would see something different because of additional:

3) Auto Lane Change with manual signaling but fully automation expected 3/15/2019 which is already late / Navigation on Autopilot (EAP feature, not 2019 AP)
4) AutoPark (EAP feature, not 2019 AP)
5) Summon (EAP feature, not 2019 AP)

But since you already have EAP, you already have all those above features from 1 through 5 so you not see any difference until more FSD features in future:

6) Traffic lights and stop signs automatic compliance
7) Automatic driving on city streets.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen the flow diagram view for features. I'm not really asking about features, I'm more asking about should I see a confirmation that FSD has been enabled for my car, even if there are no FSD features as yet? Also, should I see the option code APF2 in Remote S?

...confirmation that FSD has been enabled for my car, even if there are no FSD features...

I guess not.

Tesla keeps track who has FSD and who has not.

The only time I can see any difference is when people boasting that their cars can now automatically stop for traffic lights and stop signs with the latest update, and that's when I will find out whether I have it or not.

I don't think you can see anything in the car.

On your car's Tesla "Manage" page you should be able to click on "View Details" just below the car's image. The description of the car's features should include Full Self driving. That's our only indication.

I am in the same situation. Paid $2k. Still on version 5.15. Notified briefly that update was available, but it disappeared before it could be executed. Now nothing for over a week. I understand that updates are rolling. It would be nice to have some information to help manage expectations. One other thing we should be asking Tesla about is the addition of sales tax on a hardware/software upgrade that hasn’t happened yet. In DC there is no sales tax on new vehicles. There is a substitute excise tax, but that doesn’t apply to EVs. Yet, I was charged sales tax. Check your state/local sales/excise tax situation. You may have an issue, too.

I got an email confirming my purchase and that I should be "upgraded" in about an hour. The following morning, when I entered my car I had a pop up that read something like "you now have full self driving capability"

I think it basically is to signal that the right option flag in Tesla's vehicle database was turned on for my car. I don't expect to see any actual changes in functionality until they become available via OTA to the public.

I bought it on the last day (Sunday, which then was extended to Wednesday) when it was available for $2K. That evening I got an email confirming my purchase. That Monday morning, as I got into my car to drive to work, I was greeted with this screen:

20190318_190912.jpg

Then, by about Wednesday, I had an invoice uploaded to the documents section of my Tesla account.