Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake lights stay on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of months ago, my brakes lights started staying on occasionally when I get out of the car. it requires me to get in and out of the car, pump the brakes, manually turn the lights from auto to off, try other stuff and sometimes they go off and sometimes they don’t. But also, when I turn the lights to off from Auto and get out of the car and back in, they always revert to Auto. Any ideas or do I just call service? I’m and hour and a half away from the closest service center and they don’t have a mobile tech so I’m trying to avoid that if possible. I just read another thread with a similar issue and it was a seat sensor issue.

get out of the car and back in, they always revert to Auto
That is how all Tesla's work.

my brakes lights started staying on occasionally when I get out of the car

And from the owner's manual:

"When you stop driving and park Model X in low lighting conditions, exterior lights temporarily remain illuminated. They automatically turn off after one minute or when you lock Model X whichever comes first.

To turn this feature on and off, touch Controls > Lights > Headlights After Exit. When Headlights After Exit is off, the headlights turn off immediately when you engage Park and open a door."

That is how all Tesla's work.

And from the owner's manual:

"When you stop driving and park Model X in low lighting conditions, exterior lights temporarily remain illuminated. They automatically turn off after one minute or when you lock Model X whichever comes first.

To turn this feature on and off, touch Controls > Lights > Headlights After Exit. When Headlights After Exit is off, the headlights turn off immediately when you engage Park and open a door."
Thanks but this isn’t it. The brake lights come on randomly while the car is parked and stay on for hours. I often come out of restaurants to find them on. And I have the headlights after exit turned off.

Thanks but this isn’t it. The brake lights come on randomly while the car is parked and stay on for hours. I often come out of restaurants to find them on. And I have the headlights after exit turned off.

Yeah I'm facing the same issue with my 2022 Model X Plaid.

Been trying various things, right now I'm just pushing it onto service and giving them examples of everything that has happened.

I have same experience as you, walk back to car to see lights on. Sometimes when I leave the car, the car never lock and lights stay on. Its happening a lot more lately.

Did you ever find a solution? Here are my notes from last service repair, personally think they didn't really find the issue:

Concern: Customer states: Hello, I also wanted to add that the brake lights stay on. I have to go in the car and press the brakes a few times or toggle a software menu option. Restarting the computer doesn't help. I think the brake light relay is faulty.

Verified customer concern. Due to brake pedal is so sensitive, retainer clip was contacting with footwell causing little pressure on the brake pedal. Performed brake pedal adjustment. After adjustment, tested several times on driving condition and parking condition. No brake lights stayed on at this time. No further action is required. Correction: Interior Component/Trim/Seal Adjustment - 0.3

Yeah I'm facing the same issue with my 2022 Model X Plaid.

Been trying various things, right now I'm just pushing it onto service and giving them examples of everything that has happened.

I have same experience as you, walk back to car to see lights on. Sometimes when I leave the car, the car never lock and lights stay on. Its happening a lot more lately.

Did you ever find a solution? Here are my notes from last service repair, personally think they didn't really find the issue:

Concern: Customer states: Hello, I also wanted to add that the brake lights stay on. I have to go in the car and press the brakes a few times or toggle a software menu option. Restarting the computer doesn't help. I think the brake light relay is faulty.

Verified customer concern. Due to brake pedal is so sensitive, retainer clip was contacting with footwell causing little pressure on the brake pedal. Performed brake pedal adjustment. After adjustment, tested several times on driving condition and parking condition. No brake lights stayed on at this time. No further action is required. Correction: Interior Component/Trim/Seal Adjustment - 0.3
Mine has gotten worse over the last month or so, but I think your solution might be the right one.

The other day, I couldn’t get my charger port to open so I got back in the car and attempted to open it from the touch screen and got an error message that the charge port won’t open when the brake pedal is being pressed. Since I wasn’t pressing the brake pedal, that let me know that the brake pedal is the issue. The lights are staying on because the car believes the brake pedal is being pressed. I am currently able to open the charge port by applying upward pressure on the brake pedal but when I release the pressure, the brake lights come back on. They are on full time now.

I’m still an hour and a half away from a service center and can’t make the trip for a couple of weeks. I’m worried about losing the ability to get the charge port to open if it gets worse before I can get it fixed.