Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New member with a New 2022 Model X...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I must say I'm like a kid at Christmas. After 10 months delay I finally took delivery on my 2022 Tesla X Plaid!! After years of waiting for the model to get a refresh, I finally took the plunge.

Overall the experience has been awesome but not perfect as many others have posted. Since Tesla no longer has an owner's feedback portal, I figure a review posted here would be in order.

PROS:
1. The car is fast!! Like, make sure your seat is adjusted so the G-force doesn't affect your ability to keep control of things.
2. It's comfortable. I drove it 700 miles to my 2nd home in Virginia with ease, and I figure only about 90 minutes down time at charger stations.
3. Finally, a car that will load my 2TB SSD's over 40,000 MP3 files in less then 2 minutes, and give me both Folder and title-album search options.
4. Again, where can you find the ultimate SUV touring ride that is also the 2nd fastest production car out there regardless of price. Awesome.
5. Plugging in to charge each night, and getting ~230 miles range back at a super charger in less then 30 minutes. Love it.
6. Wireless phone chargers, horizontal 17" screen, climate heat pump, and lots more make the refresh X a major upgrade.

Cons:
1. Brand new, the car's mike was not responsive. First service call within 110 miles fixed it but I need to return for a trim assembly issue.
2. The car's computer started to fail on my road trip. Cameras, navigation, etc. all down. 2nd service call required replacement of the computer.
3. The Audio player won't "keep your place" in an audio book between trips. Only the voice command "USB" can sometimes bring it back up.
4. The "Tidal" audio app will not accept my registration, and keeps spamming me to register. Blocking it also breaks the "USB" command option (above).
5. The music player won't play video. You can play MP4 clips through the Sentry App, so why not SSD MP4 or MKV files from the media player? It's supposed to be a high-end AMD powered computer. Ideally, something like the "VLC" player you can now download to any phone, tablet, or PC would be nice as it plays *anything* audio or video.

Still, I'd give this experience 5+ out of 5 Stars!! Never before have I ever felt that a vehicle purchase was such a huge step into the future, and being able to blow the socks of any other car who want's to get squirrely with me is like Icing on the Cake!!
8CB831E6-9972-40E7-8C36-85973BB0000D.jpeg

("Tesla Model X 90D.jpg" by Jakob Härter is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to each their own but the Refresh is a significant re-engineering of the Model X and so far most owners are having a really good experience.
A significant re-engineer is the C7-->C8 Corvette, where they went front to mid-engine. Even say the Gen 1 Volt to Gen 2 or 2015 Mustang to 2016. The list goes on. The S/X is not a significant re-engineering, especially on the outside.. A Non-Fan probably couldn't tell the difference as the outside is so similar with just a de-chrome and fog light change. The X change is more like the 2008 to 2009 Mustang where non-fans see the same car.

Interior is new. Yes. Other makers have been doing that for years. Sure we got heat pump from the 3/Y, and appreciate that, but 3/Y had it all ready so just moving to the rest of the fleet. Same with general interior design language. I had never been in a M3 until after we got the refreshed X and couldn't believe how similar the interior design language was considering the M3 is a 5 year old design. Would have liked the S/X to set the standard for the next version of interiors instead of just copy the 3/Y.

Kind of disappointed the refresh looks so much like the previous one on the outside. Production was shut down for 9 months!!! Expected more. The C7--> C8 Vet change was 2 months and a MAJOR re-design.

I would call the refresh a very Iterative Change, not a significant re-engineer.

On the exterior, maybe I'm wrong expecting it to look different. Maybe the S/X design is so classic, Tesla will keep it the same forever like the design language of the Porsche 911. I can't tell a 1970s from a 2010s version. Just don't see that many up here. (sure I know they aren't the same, but couldn't tell you what decade a 911 can from by looking at it.)

P.S. and the software STILL doesn't have the functionality the outgoing one had. Energy Graph, I'm looking for you specifically. Modifiable binnacle screens, caraokee, etc, MIA. Been over a year since the S came out with this software suite. On the plus side the MCU has enough RAM to not crash the web browser on complex web sites. That is a plus for the new one.

P.S.S. am I being critical? Maybe it's a $120K+ car! My expectations to have finished software don't seen excessive. A little of the Lexus sale line "the relent less pursuit of perfection" would go along way here at this price point. Not that I want a Lexus, as their electrified offerings are pathetic.

Last edited:
A significant re-engineer is the C7-->C8 Corvette, where they went front to mid-engine. Even say the Gen 1 Volt to Gen 2 or 2015 Mustang to 2016. The list goes on. The S/X is not a significant re-engineering, especially on the outside.. A Non-Fan probably couldn't tell the difference as the outside is so similar with just a de-chrome and fog light change.

Interior is new. Yes. Other makers have been doing that for years. Sure we got heat pump from the 3/Y, and appreciate that, but 3/Y had it all ready so just moving to the rest of the fleet. Same with general interior design language. I had never been in a M3 until after we got the refreshed X and couldn't believe how similar the interior design language was considering the M3 is a 5 year old design. Would have liked the S/X to set the standard for the next version of interiors instead of just copy the 3/Y.

Kind of disappointed the refresh looks so much like the previous one on the outside. Production shut down for 9 months. Expected more. The C7--> C8 Vet change was 1 month and a MAJOR re-design.

I would call the refresh a very Iterative Change, not a significant re-engineer.

P.S. and the software STILL doesn't have the functionality the outgoing one had. Energy Graph, I'm looking for you specifically. Modifiable binnacle screens, caraokee, etc, MIA.. On the plus side the MCU has enough RAM to not crash the web browser on complex web sites. That is a plus for the new one.
Well, looks-wise I agree the Refresh is almost a clone of the pre-refresh.

But have you seen any Sandy Munro tear down of the Refresh S vs the prior generation? (I’m sure it’s similar in the X).

It’s seriously re-engineered mechanically.

Reactions: timberlights
Well, looks-wise I agree the Refresh is almost a clone of the pre-refresh.

But have you seen any Sandy Munro tear down of the Refresh S vs the prior generation? (I’m sure it’s similar in the X).

It’s seriously re-engineered mechanically.
I REALLY hope then did some engineering to fix the extream angle the CV joint was at on the original X that eats CV axles at $1500 a pop every 4,000-20,000 miles depending on how you drove. Here was the chance to engineer and lower the drive unit somehow to decrease the angle and fix this problem once and for all. They never had a fix for the original X and really don't want to own out of warrantee if I'm paying for this repair.

Also, glad to have heat pump. ALOT! One of the things on my wish list we did get. Should help in the Wisconsin winters. (Quieter interior was another thing on my list we got as the original X was NOT a quiet car.)

Still bitter on loosing 1/2 the steering wheel and especially the loss of stalks for turn and highs. Buttons on the 'yoke' are going to be a real pain with gloves on when it's -20deg outside.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I REALLY hope then did some engineering to fix the extream angle the CV joint was at on the original X that eats CV axles at $1500 a pop every 4,000-20,000 miles depending on how you drove. Here was the chance to engineer and lower the drive unit somehow to decrease the angle and fix this problem once and for all. They never had a fix for the original X and really don't want to own out of warrantee if I'm paying for this repair.

Also, glad to have heat pump. ALOT! One of the things on my wish list we did get. Should help in the Wisconsin winters. (Quieter interior was another thing on my list we got as the original X was NOT a quiet car.)

Still bitter on loosing 1/2 the steering wheel and especially the loss of stalks for turn and highs. Buttons on the 'yoke' are going to be a real pain with gloves on when it's -20deg outside.
Wouldn’t have to lower the drive unit.

You just need a CV joint with controlled rotation (eg electromagnetic adjustment and locking) for different ride heights.

Steering yoke is heated AFAIK FWIW
Preheat the cabin, scheduled etc etc