Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One year with my 2022 Model X Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it has been 1 year with my 2022 Model X Plaid... I had a total of 4 service calls for minor and cosmetic issues. When I took delivery, the car had dents in the front bumper (likely from transportation) and Tesla paid to have it fixed at a body shop. I had 3 additional service calls which were all taken care of with mobile service. 1) cupholder would not stay retracted (received new center console top) 2) weatherstripping/front door seal in passenger door came loose and 3) yoke replaced for wear.
Overall, the car has been fantastic. 4 drag strip visits with most passes in the mid 9.80's with a best of 9.836. Most runs were between 9.836 and 9.859.
About 17k miles so far. Degradation after my first year is about 3%. Current range 322 to 324 miles. Up to 6% is considered normal. I charge about 70% Level 2 and 30% on 50kw CCS chargers. 5 Supercharger visits of which 4 were to get to 100% before drag racing. The most impressive thing about the Plaid is the efficiency. I'm averaging 272 wh/mile since new. I drive a lot early morning and only run the fan without AC on my morning commute which often results in under 240 wh/mile on my 26 mile commute. I have autopilot set to 75 but rarely reach that speed due to heavy traffic. I'm in no way a slow driver and may have done several Mexico races before but I don't see a point driving like a crazy person through traffic in heavy commuter traffic. I'm rather on Autopilot, surfing the web while the car takes care of driving.

20220819_131838.jpg

Attachments

• 20230326_175338.jpg
    20230326_175338.jpg
    769.2 KB · Views: 439
  • 20221015_184831.jpg
    20221015_184831.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 394
  • 20230614_075416.jpg
    20230614_075416.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 428
That efficiency is insane (beyond Ludicrous even maybe? Haha). My MSP I'm only getting around 320 wh/m. I actually bought a set of 19s to see how much I can improve that. Nice write up!
Lack of AC use and no heater use ever. I rarely ever have AC on and I'm in Florida. I moved to Florida because I like hot weather. If temp is in the 80's or cooler and I'm alone in the car, AC is off..

I also have had my red model x plaid for over 1 year. i have 20 inch wheels and your efficiency is crazy. I have 15,000 miles and my lifetime efficiency is 342watt hour per miles. I still really need to take mine to the drag stripe.
Efficiency really depends on your use pattern and climate. If you are in a cold climate and have to run the heater, your efficiency will necessarily be much worse. Also, if you like to keep your cabin chilly in summer, it will hurt efficiency as well. Most of my driving is early morning or late night and unless I have passengers, the AC is set to blower only. I moved to Florida in 1997 because I like the heat. I only run AC if the car has been sitting in the sun for a while or if I have my family in the car. They don't like it as hot as I do. I don't do this to save energy or money as I charge 99% for free anyways, so it makes no difference for me if I set the AC to LO or have the AC off. I just like it hot. Also, unless I race someone in Mexico or at the Drag Strip, I avoid using the brake pedal. Every time you have to brake hard, you are killing your efficiency as you are wasting energy that would go back into your battery if you use regen to brake. I do like to accelerate hard at times, but I try to do it where I have enough space to slow down the car via regen and not via friction brakes. I've been driving electric for 4 years now and one pedal driving is how I drive 99% of the time.

Efficiency really depends on your use pattern and climate. If you are in a cold climate and have to run the heater, your efficiency will necessarily be much worse. Also, if you like to keep your cabin chilly in summer, it will hurt efficiency as well. Most of my driving is early morning or late night and unless I have passengers, the AC is set to blower only. I moved to Florida in 1997 because I like the heat. I only run AC if the car has been sitting in the sun for a while or if I have my family in the car. They don't like it as hot as I do. I don't do this to save energy or money as I charge 99% for free anyways, so it makes no difference for me if I set the AC to LO or have the AC off. I just like it hot. Also, unless I race someone in Mexico or at the Drag Strip, I avoid using the brake pedal. Every time you have to brake hard, you are killing your efficiency as you are wasting energy that would go back into your battery if you use regen to brake. I do like to accelerate hard at times, but I try to do it where I have enough space to slow down the car via regen and not via friction brakes. I've been driving electric for 4 years now and one pedal driving is how I drive 99% of the time.
i'm in so cal so it does not get too cold hear. But i normally always leave the ac on auto climate control set at 70-72 degrees. Its probably the ac that is killing my efficiency. My family is always in my car and i pretty much never have to use the brake pedal with 1 pedal driving.

i'm in so cal so it does not get too cold hear. But i normally always leave the ac on auto climate control set at 70-72 degrees. Its probably the ac that is killing my efficiency. My family is always in my car and i pretty much never have to use the brake pedal with 1 pedal driving.
In Socal, especially near the coast, I would only run the fan. I've been in SoCal many times..

i picked up my MXP (Red Ryder) on June 30, 2022, when Tesla sent me a text out of the blue and said they had some Plaids available for pickup THAT DAY ONLY. Bumping up their 2nd Quarter numbers. Otherwise, my car was scheduled for September-October delivery. Back in the day when we had to wait, and pay about 20 or 30 k$ more than people do today.

Have had very few problems, just 2 mobile service for fixing the window washer (a pinched fluid hose) and to replace the yoke, which had the skin flaking off of it.

I have the 22 inch wheels (and the off white interior) and run the AC here in SE FL at about 68˚. But I did not buy a $150k car to save a few kWh of energy.

But I guess 342 lifetime is not too bad, reading the other comments, especially with the 22" wheels!

IMG_2835.JPG

IMG_2749.JPG

Last edited:
So, it has been 1 year with my 2022 Model X Plaid... I had a total of 4 service calls for minor and cosmetic issues. When I took delivery, the car had dents in the front bumper (likely from transportation) and Tesla paid to have it fixed at a body shop. I had 3 additional service calls which were all taken care of with mobile service. 1) cupholder would not stay retracted (received new center console top) 2) weatherstripping/front door seal in passenger door came loose and 3) yoke replaced for wear.
Overall, the car has been fantastic. 4 drag strip visits with most passes in the mid 9.80's with a best of 9.836. Most runs were between 9.836 and 9.859.
About 17k miles so far. Degradation after my first year is about 3%. Current range 322 to 324 miles. Up to 6% is considered normal. I charge about 70% Level 2 and 30% on 50kw CCS chargers. 5 Supercharger visits of which 4 were to get to 100% before drag racing. The most impressive thing about the Plaid is the efficiency. I'm averaging 272 wh/mile since new. I drive a lot early morning and only run the fan without AC on my morning commute which often results in under 240 wh/mile on my 26 mile commute. I have autopilot set to 75 but rarely reach that speed due to heavy traffic. I'm in no way a slow driver and may have done several Mexico races before but I don't see a point driving like a crazy person through traffic in heavy commuter traffic. I'm rather on Autopilot, surfing the web while the car takes care of driving.

View attachment 946825
Did you have to bring your MX to a body shop? or Tesla took your car there and gave you a loaner?

How is the tires wear after 1 year? And battery degradation? Are you on 20d or 22s
I have 20" wheels. Tires are about 40 - 50%. Degradation is under 3%, showing 322 - 326 miles current 100% range (333 was new range)
Remaining capacity of the pack is 93.4kwh (usable). There is a 4.2 kwh buffer and "NEW" capacity is 99.4kwh (95.2kwh usable + 4.2 kwh buffer)
93.4+4.2 = 97.6kwh current total capacity, meaning I lost 1.8kwh capacity. That's 1.81% capacity loss.
If I base it on the 100% range of 325 vs. 333 miles, the capacity loss would be 2.4%
Data below from SCANMYTESLA and OBDLink MX+ OBD2 dongle
Screenshot_20230622_192449.jpg

Last edited: