Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New member with a New 2022 Model X...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I must say I'm like a kid at Christmas. After 10 months delay I finally took delivery on my 2022 Tesla X Plaid!! After years of waiting for the model to get a refresh, I finally took the plunge.

Overall the experience has been awesome but not perfect as many others have posted. Since Tesla no longer has an owner's feedback portal, I figure a review posted here would be in order.

PROS:
1. The car is fast!! Like, make sure your seat is adjusted so the G-force doesn't affect your ability to keep control of things.
2. It's comfortable. I drove it 700 miles to my 2nd home in Virginia with ease, and I figure only about 90 minutes down time at charger stations.
3. Finally, a car that will load my 2TB SSD's over 40,000 MP3 files in less then 2 minutes, and give me both Folder and title-album search options.
4. Again, where can you find the ultimate SUV touring ride that is also the 2nd fastest production car out there regardless of price. Awesome.
5. Plugging in to charge each night, and getting ~230 miles range back at a super charger in less then 30 minutes. Love it.
6. Wireless phone chargers, horizontal 17" screen, climate heat pump, and lots more make the refresh X a major upgrade.

Cons:
1. Brand new, the car's mike was not responsive. First service call within 110 miles fixed it but I need to return for a trim assembly issue.
2. The car's computer started to fail on my road trip. Cameras, navigation, etc. all down. 2nd service call required replacement of the computer.
3. The Audio player won't "keep your place" in an audio book between trips. Only the voice command "USB" can sometimes bring it back up.
4. The "Tidal" audio app will not accept my registration, and keeps spamming me to register. Blocking it also breaks the "USB" command option (above).
5. The music player won't play video. You can play MP4 clips through the Sentry App, so why not SSD MP4 or MKV files from the media player? It's supposed to be a high-end AMD powered computer. Ideally, something like the "VLC" player you can now download to any phone, tablet, or PC would be nice as it plays *anything* audio or video.

Still, I'd give this experience 5+ out of 5 Stars!! Never before have I ever felt that a vehicle purchase was such a huge step into the future, and being able to blow the socks of any other car who want's to get squirrely with me is like Icing on the Cake!!
8CB831E6-9972-40E7-8C36-85973BB0000D.jpeg

("Tesla Model X 90D.jpg" by Jakob Härter is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you're liking yours! I'm in a similar boat having taken delivery of an X Plaid a couple of months ago.
Amazing car, but not without flaws :)

Out of curiosity does your glovebox close with a cartoonish tanging spring noise? That was one of the issues that the service center couldn't fix for me and I'm having a hard time believing it is normal like the rep was telling me.

My only other real gripe is that the rear dome light seems to turn on while driving for no reason.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Still, I'd give this experience 5+ out of 5 Stars!! Never before have I ever felt that a vehicle purchase was such a huge step into the future, and being able to blow the socks of any other car who want's to get squirrely with me is like Icing on the Cake!!
That's remarkable feedback after the issues you encountered. Just don't drive it a lot before they replace the computer to avoid spoiling it as it happened to some other owners ;)

Yes, it was a processor thermal throttling issue, which my Tesla service center here in Tysons, Virginia were able to confirm. I could actually smell burning circuit board material on my drive back to Virginia. However the problem seemed only to affect displays, navigation, warning lights, and access to menu-driven controls like windshield wipers. Aside from not being able to turn on the wipers or update my navigation, the vehicle otherwise drove fine. The navigation worked just well enough to get me to the next charging station so I had no trouble making it to my destination. After my shop replaced the computer the car has been flawless, with only a minor trim issue and an Air Bag recall left to deal with. I figure someone at the factory is not installing CPU cooler or cable connectors correctly as it's really impossible to burn up a low power AMD Ryzen CPU with a proper cooler on it. Same with my Microphone issue, as it was cause by an un-attached cable connector.

Please. Can you stop spamming every thread? Like you have nothing better to do.
Yes, it was a processor thermal throttling issue, which my Tesla service center here in Tysons, Virginia were able to confirm. I could actually smell burning circuit board material on my drive back to Virginia.
Seems like I was not spamming at all.

My best experience with the car was driving 40 miles for 1 hour without spending any charge. The car even charged itself! That's an unbelievable performance! I guess you don't believe even these words, but they are true.

Well I must say I'm like a kid at Christmas. After 10 months delay I finally took delivery on my 2022 Tesla X Plaid!! After years of waiting for the model to get a refresh, I finally took the plunge.

Overall the experience has been awesome but not perfect as many others have posted. Since Tesla no longer has an owner's feedback portal, I figure a review posted here would be in order.

PROS:
1. The car is fast!! Like, make sure your seat is adjusted so the G-force doesn't affect your ability to keep control of things.
2. It's comfortable. I drove it 700 miles to my 2nd home in Virginia with ease, and I figure only about 90 minutes down time at charger stations.
3. Finally, a car that will load my 2TB SSD's over 40,000 MP3 files in less then 2 minutes, and give me both Folder and title-album search options.
4. Again, where can you find the ultimate SUV touring ride that is also the 2nd fastest production car out there regardless of price. Awesome.
5. Plugging in to charge each night, and getting ~230 miles range back at a super charger in less then 30 minutes. Love it.
6. Wireless phone chargers, horizontal 17" screen, climate heat pump, and lots more make the refresh X a major upgrade.

Cons:
1. Brand new, the car's mike was not responsive. First service call within 110 miles fixed it but I need to return for a trim assembly issue.
2. The car's computer started to fail on my road trip. Cameras, navigation, etc. all down. 2nd service call required replacement of the computer.
3. The Audio player won't "keep your place" in an audio book between trips. Only the voice command "USB" can sometimes bring it back up.
4. The "Tidal" audio app will not accept my registration, and keeps spamming me to register. Blocking it also breaks the "USB" command option (above).
5. The music player won't play video. You can play MP4 clips through the Sentry App, so why not SSD MP4 or MKV files from the media player? It's supposed to be a high-end AMD powered computer. Ideally, something like the "VLC" player you can now download to any phone, tablet, or PC would be nice as it plays *anything* audio or video.

View attachment 798981

("Tesla Model X 90D.jpg" by Jakob Härter is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.)
I would say that after reading about the failures you experienced, I am convinced never to buy a Model X.

In my case the microphones were not connected, so callers (or voice commands) could not hear me at all. Once the shop reattached the loose cable connector, all worked well. Not having any problems with commands being understood.
Tesla should have multiple-angle video monitoring of each work station (even body worn cameras). It would be an objective QC measure to identify where incorrect/incomplete steps are occurring (or even who needs more training/is there a mole).

This kind of garbage should never happen.

Last edited:
Similar experience: Ordered Model X refresh 14 months ago. Made last minute switch to Plaid two weeks before delivery (Tesla called me to ask about my seat selection and I took the opportunity to switch up to a Plaid over the phone!). Car turned up in April. Had quite a few quality issues such as poorly installed door trim, wonky rear quarter window, wonky screen installation and faulty dashboard (stitching was damaged). Didn't realize these issues until I took delivery. Had complete buyers remorse for a few days. However Scottsdale Tesla SC ordered new parts and took care of everything and went above and beyond to address my issues. Amazing customer service - just wish their QC was better at the factory.

I see a comment about Tidal but can’t find any thread responding to it. I’m having the same issue, new MX plaid, the Tidal app will not let me get past the QR login. Keeps giving me a new QR code even though I’ve gone through the whole process of setting up an account. I also cannot log into Spotify even though I have an account. Comes back with “unable to log in, try again later”. I’ve done the steering yoke two button reset, no difference. Suggestions?