Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Model Y for sale (SoCal) - delivery around Oct 1. (not the reservation, the car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried selling my reservation and my sales rep told me that they could lose their job doing it for us. I don't want to put their jobs at risk. So I plan to pick up the car, pay California their 9.5% pound of flesh and DMV fees, drive the car 17 miles home from Marina del Rey, leave it in my indoor garage until I sell it. Feel free to come with me to delivery.

Tesla Y Long Range Dual Motor AWD

Pearl White
20" Induction wheels
White interior
5 passenger
Autopilot
0-17 miles on odometer

Asking $73.000

Real bummer because I was looking forward to having this car for over a year. But took a bath in the stock market and cannot justify it at the moment.

I would reject it and cancel - think about it you're paying the reg and taxes in hopes to sell it. Once Jan 1 2023, rolls around and the tax credit kicks in. You will hard press to sell it. Just my two cents.
It wouldn't make sense for me to reject it when I'm paying $58290 for the car and it's currently selling for $70,440. Even with the tax and fees, I'm paying $64,600 out of pocket. So I'd still make $5800 if I can sell it right away. It's a brand new car. The only hassle is getting all the money together and dealing with it. Looking at all the listings on Carvana and other places, it looks like people are asking $76k for a car with these specs.

It wouldn't make sense for me to reject it when I'm paying $58290 for the car and it's currently selling for $70,440. Even with the tax and fees, I'm paying $64,600 out of pocket. So I'd still make $5800 if I can sell it right away. It's a brand new car. The only hassle is getting all the money together and dealing with it. Looking at all the listings on Carvana and other places, it looks like people are asking $76k for a car with these specs.
look at the for sale for this sub right now. Its all Model Ys. Something is gonna give.

asking is different than what reality of what sells. i can ask 100k for my model x but if it doesn't sell doesn't mean $hit. with rates going up another .75 pts the other day...finding a cash buyer isn't going to be a dime a dozen these days in this pre-recession market. you took a bath in the stock market...you should know...if you got the cash and finance to do it - go for it. but the flipping days are done. why would i buy from another person and be a 2nd owner rather than 1st? in the grand scheme of things saving 1-2k hits the back end later on resell. ask yourself all the questions. and like you said hassle to get your finance together...lol time is money - and you timed the market wrong. just my 2 cents.

Reactions: saj070
asking is different than what reality of what sells. i can ask 100k for my model x but if it doesn't sell doesn't mean $hit. with rates going up another .75 pts the other day...finding a cash buyer isn't going to be a dime a dozen these days in this pre-recession market. you took a bath in the stock market...you should know...if you got the cash and finance to do it - go for it. but the flipping days are done. why would i buy from another person and be a 2nd owner rather than 1st? in the grand scheme of things saving 1-2k hits the back end later on resell. ask yourself all the questions. and like you said hassle to get your finance together...lol time is money - and you timed the market wrong. just my 2 cents

I think you're right. Looking at the market now, there aren't many buyers anymore. These things were selling like hot cakes 4 months ago. Why is that? Gas prices? They haven't dropped that much and they're on the way back up now. Could be the alleged $7500 tax credit promised beginning Jan 1? Not confirmed though that the Y qualifies.

I can probably sell it for $67k now which would barely net me $1500 for all the headache and trouble. The issue is that I always wanted the Y, the timing just isn't right. But if I just sell it now with no profit at all, in a year or two, when I want to buy one for real, I'd be paying $11k more than now. I may be stuck with it.