Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand Spankin' New Model 3 LR or 2016 Model S (84/85/90) with ~50K miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im at a cross roads....

I want a Tesla as a daily driver. But Im extremely torn.

I am looking for a "maintenance free" daily driver. I'm 6'6". I have two small children that I take to school each day and drive 60-100 miles daily. About 20K miles a year.

Both of the above options are about $50-55K so the price is a wash.

Sat in a Model 3 yesterday and I "fit" and there seemed to be space in the back for the kids. The M3LR seems to have better range than the Model Ss i'm considering and with the new AMD processor, new battery, double pain glass, etc seems to be the better option as far as tech. But will I regret not getting an S at my size? Will a 2016/17 S hold up over the next 5 years and 100K miles the same as a new Model 3 would?

Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

How much storage space do you need? You’ll get more with the S. Also more comfort for road trips if you plan to take them.

If you go with a 2016 S, be aware that if it was made before October 2016, it will have the old HW1 autopilot hardware.

I have two full size SUVs in the garage for trips and storage capacity. I really want a sedan to change it up. Thats the main reason I dont want to spring the extra cash for the Y as it feels like a mini SUV....

If you go with a 2016 S, be aware that if it was made before October 2016, it will have the old HW1 autopilot hardware.
Which is nothing wrong, but that car does not suit for upgrade for FSD or in other words Tesla is not offering any upgrade. AP hardware after that date have some possibilities. I’m constantly using my prior Oct.2016 AP1 and can’t complain. It has auto parking, summon and simple lane changing which is currently only part of FSD package.

Last edited:
I find the 3 seats just a bit narrow for my body size (6'4") and the thigh bolsters get more uncomfortable the longer I sit on them. I am constantly sitting on one cheek or the other between the bolsters, as I can't sit normally in these seats, and I'm not overweight, as you can see from my avatar. For a workaround, I have two pieces of foam I put in the seat between the bolsters, and I then cover the whole seat with another foam-lined seat cover, but even this doesn't do it for long trips. What a pain in the onager, as they say. Even the S isn't all that good for me. (We own both). Wish Tesla had consulted a few people with different body sizes when they built their cars.

We are in for a thousand mile round trip here in a couple weeks, and I don't look forward to the discomfort. I am tempted to remove the seat cover and cut down the foam a bit.

Just one opinion... but to me there's no comparison to these two vehicles. New 3LR all day long.

New battery, new warranty, new features. That 2016 S could need a $22k battery in a year's time. I also got a 2016 S loaner once from the service center and it was not a nice vehicle (IMO).

One last thing... you've ruled out the Y because you already have SUVs, but the Y is fairly low profile as a crossover... it'd give you the "new" and also the roomier interior. Maybe worth taking a second look (or at least a test drive).

That 2016 S could need a $22k battery in a year's time.
IF a 2016 S need a battery in a year it wont be 22k. It should be free as still under the 8 year unlimited miles warranty. The 2016 S loaner you had may not have been nice, by my mid-2106 MS90D has been and still is a very nice car almost 70k miles later. And for those that dismiss AP1, I’ll tell you it is incredibly well behaved and stable on long road trips with none of the phantom braking I’m constantly seeing people complain about with new vision only models.

Reactions: jpk195 and KalJoMoS