Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broke my footwell speaker connector, replacement connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks

I was installing an aftermarket smart display in my Model Y and broke the passenger footwell speaker cable connector in the process. It is just held on there with tape now and I dont know if it even works as I have no idea what that speaker is for.

2022-04-30_19-25-02_20220430_192502.jpg

Any ideas on how I can repair it? The female harness on the speaker side is fine, I just have bare wires I need to connect a new male harness. I dont know which male harness I should get and how it will be connected.

Any help much appreciated.

It is just held on there with tape now and I dont know if it even works as I have no idea what that speaker is for.
As mentioned by others, this speaker plays autopilot alerts when your main touchscreen is down/rebooting.

You can test that it is working by triggering an autopilot alert while your touchscreen is restarting.

To do this while parked:
  1. Hold down brake and put car in drive
  2. Tap stalk down twice for autopilot. You will hear two bleeps since autopilot cannot engage. This is the normal alert tone
  3. Hold down both thumb wheels until screen goes blank (can take a while).
  4. Tap stalk down twice to engage autopilot
You should hear two bleeps come from the passenger footwell speaker. This is the Alert that autopilot cannot engage, and it should sound slightly different than what you heard in step 2.

Is there any special advice to those who have not had the pleasure of changing the cabin air filter before? What should one do/not do to separate these connectors without doing harm?
The connector for the light is easy to disconnect, only the speaker is tricky. You need to insert something small and rigid into the hole to release the connector. I used a jewelers/eye glasses screwdriver.

This video shows the spot...

(link to the exact time in the video, you may want to backup to view the whole process)

Reactions: akidesir and ArtK
I've replaced the cabin filter on the Model 3 three times and once on my Model Y. In all instances, I've never disconnected this speaker to get the job done.

I'm not sure if OP broke it while disconnecting it or when the panel was hanging by the wire.

The connector for the light is easy to disconnect, only the speaker is tricky. You need to insert something small and rigid into the hole to release the connector. I used a jewelers/eye glasses screwdriver.

This video shows the spot...

(link to the exact time in the video, you may want to backup to view the whole process)
Thank you very much 👍🏼

• Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV
I just think that unscrewing the two screws on the speaker (same hex as the cabin cover) is MUCH easier than the tiny tricky pin connector. I just did it myself after struggling with the pin connector. Surprised that none of the tutorial videos didn't mention this...

I was having my tires rotated by mobile service. I mentioned to the technician that I could not disconnect the speaker wire. He pulled the panel and swiftly disconnected it. He said you just need to pull firmly, and there is no need to try to push in on any catch or clip on the connector.