Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken part in 12V

bghall62

Feb 7, 2018
fort worth, tx
I use a 2nd dashcam in my M3 and the power adapter broke off in the cigarette 12V power port. Since there are no fuses how would I use pliers to get the part out without shocking me or doing damage to the car?

camalaio

May 28, 2019
Vernon, BC, Canada
Huh, interesting case.

12V isn't going to shock you on the surface of your skin. You'd have to stab something into your skin with both the positive and negative to get any interaction. But then you've stabbed something into you, and that probably hurts more to be honest.

There's an "e-fuse" that, if tripped, will reset anyway eventually. If you do short it, it will cut power and should return to normal operation some time later (minutes, maybe up to an hour).

Just try to dig it out while keeping to the sides of the socket (with whatever you're using, needle nose pliers etc.). Avoid shorting the center (at the end) to the walls of the socket if possible, but you probably won't damage anything if you do.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC