Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browsing for SC/Duel Motors around $40K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are toying with the idea of getting a model s while we wait for a model 3. We live in Idaho where we get a lot of snow, so duel Motors seems like a must have. It must be supercharger enabled! My wife would love to have autopilot, but if it breaks the bank we can wait. I don't care about the size of the battery pack as long as it's SC enabled. Thank you!

Thinking $40k is a stretch - that's "classic" pre-ap with very few options and higher mileage price territory.

To get dual motors it would have to be a late 2014 85D or 70D with 100k miles and possibly a salvage title (no warranty).

Reactions: Cooksomerice
My wife and I are toying with the idea of getting a model s while we wait for a model 3. We live in Idaho where we get a lot of snow, so duel Motors seems like a must have. It must be supercharger enabled! My wife would love to have autopilot, but if it breaks the bank we can wait. I don't care about the size of the battery pack as long as it's SC enabled. Thank you!

It has been a few weeks, but I have seen more than one MS 60kw rear wheel drive CPO offered at high 40s.
Otherwise, I agree with above.

Thanks for the input! I have a few questions. How does a salvage MS work? If it was SC enabled does it still work? I've read different posts saying to goes either way. I would be worried about having no warranty. Also, cars with high mileage, how are they doing? Do you lose a lot of battery life? This car wouldn't necessarily be a 'in town' car. It will go on some pretty decent drives that would require superchargers.

You'll probably see a lot of higher mileage cars - folks seem to drive Teslas more (with no other changes till my circumstances, I look to be on a path to drive the Tesla twice as far as the last few cars.)

The good news is they seem to take the miles very well. I know about a couple cars that are over 200k already, with few issues. Less vibration and thermal stress makes for a better service life. You should expect 5-10% capacity loss on a 200k car it seems.

The early rear drive cars have had a lot of drive unit replacements, mostly for conditions that didn't stop the car, but the smaller motors used in both axles on the D cars haven't needed replacing at all that I've seen (and the rate of replacement on older cars seems to have gone way down in recent months.)