Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building prefab / modular homes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B

betstarship

Asking the investors here on real estate and net-zero efforts:

What is the experience, benefits, weaknesses, trends, and suggestions you've had on getting a custom prefab / modular home built on a plot of land that's all net-zero focused?

When I was younger I lived in a motorhome for a few years. Space wise it was not a problem. I even entertained and had guests over.

But I spoke to others who stayed in caravans - which is less suitable for off the grid living - so they wanted a semi permanent place to stay. Basically they could

stay in a caravan park

stay on a campsite - but for a maximum duration of 6 months

park it on a friendly farmer or land owners plot - but then permanent living was not legal

buy/rent some land and get the necessary permits for a small home - lot's of red tape

You could chance a stay on some plot or make a deal with a friendly camp site owner to stay over - but this could end with the land/campsite owner being fined.

This in Europe btw. I guess each country has different laws and regulations.

Follow-up I got quoted $100-300k less with a custom home modular builder compared to a premium stick-built builder recently. The total cost for land + new home would be akin to buying another home in the same area.

Also, their process is super less stressful (a priority for me) and far less time homeless. I'm currently getting a topographic survey done on my small lot and sending a preliminary review request to the city I live in (to their suggestion) to see if its even possible. Happy to share any more insights.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: GLDYLX and bkp_duke
Follow-up I got quoted $100-300k less with a custom home modular builder compared to a premium stick-built builder recently. The total cost for land + new home would be akin to buying another home in the same area.

Also, their process is super less stressful (a priority for me) and far less time homeless. I'm currently getting a topographic survey done on my small lot and sending a preliminary review request to the city I live in (to their suggestion) to see if its even possible. Happy to share any more insights.

I would be very interested in reading about your progress/ experience, as I've been planning a net-zero retirement compound for my brother and me for decades... As it turns out, he has been planning the same thing for a few years, so we are now looking for land somewhere east of the Mississippi, with a timeline of about 4 years.

Thanks for bumping your thread!

Happy Tuesday!

I would be very interested in reading about your progress/ experience, as I've been planning a net-zero retirement compound for my brother and me for decades... As it turns out, he has been planning the same thing for a few years, so we are now looking for land somewhere east of the Mississippi, with a timeline of about 4 years.

Thanks for bumping your thread!

Happy Tuesday!

It's expensive, laborious, and emotional. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the free time, money, and passion to do it.

Pro tip: identify 3 contractors you want to work with and then search on buildzoom.com for their permitted work. Look for the addresses of those permits (that are finalized/completed) and see the IRL quality of the work on Google Maps or Redfin. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: GLDYLX