Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sainsbury's Launch Own-Brand Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly this. I do not care how much anything cost to someone who provides me a service. I care about my wallet. I cannot care less about Shareholders of Tesco or Saisnbury's or so.

that is the reason I almost never charge at 3rd party fast/rapid chargers. they are just too expensive.
Good for you. I’m sure if you had no alternative you’d be more than happy to stomach the extra cost to keep you moving - better it’s there than not there at all.

it would be unsustainable based on these prices, and availability.
Not really, no one has put a gun to your head and said you must use this charger.

If you feel that strongly about the cost then go find a slow 7kwh at half the cost and spend a few hours sat in your car waiting for it to top up.

Reactions: spdpsba
Except @btc1k was making an analogy based on this post:

..where that person is talking about essentially not having ANY ability to make coffee at home, i.e. not having a kettle, never mind a coffee machine. The comparison therefore is specious because it's not like-for-like. Someone who has access to a home charger can pay 7.5p/kW for exactly the same electrons (aka cup of coffee) that they would get at a coffee shop, for 75p/kW.

The rest of your post is white noise about the cost of electricity for Sainsburys and whatever their shareholders might think which has got absolutely nothing to do with how much it costs someone without access to a home charger to run an EV, relying solely on coffee shop coffee public charging. That person cares not what economics are involved in Sainsburys providing that service, only that it costs X and what that means in terms of "cost to run my EV".

But a fancy coffee machine is not equivalent to "home charging facilities" though. If someone can't charge their car at home, it would be more accurate to think of them not being able to use a kettle, and therefore not being able to make coffee AT ALL at home, and having to buy coffee (in whatever form that takes) from coffee shop, paying the inflated price. That is who @WllXM is feeling sorry for.

(For what it's worth I have a beans-to-cup machine as well, but still buy Costas etc when out and about because I don't have access to my coffee machine at home when I'm out and about and need coffee. i need coffee a lot more often than I need to charge my car :)

As a consumer I honestly don't care how much it costs Sainsburys et al to provide public charging. I care what it costs me to run an EV. If I had to rely on public charging, as many people would need to do with infrastructure being what it is, then it would be unsustainable based on these prices, and availability.
Exactly this.

But can't see the point of arguing with btc1k further....

1705577828217.png

Good for you. I’m sure if you had no alternative you’d be more than happy to stomach the extra cost to keep you moving - better it’s there than not there at all.

Not really, no one has put a gun to your head and said you must use this charger.

If you feel that strongly about the cost then go find a slow 7kwh at half the cost and spend a few hours sat in your car waiting for it to top up.
yes, of course. that is whole point.
even if I had no alternative in the means of home charging, I would still try to look for the cheapest electricity possible for that particular charge speed I need.
Maybe it would make more sense to pay overnight parking and charge at 7 kw for 25p at some walking distance away from home than quickly but for 75p. it stacks up in the end of the day

But in any case I could not care less if operator makes profit at that time or not.

Reactions: Durzel
Maybe it would make more sense to pay overnight parking and charge at 7 kw for 25p at some walking distance away from home than quickly but for 75p.
This is not home charger vs ultra rapid vs 7kw debate. Or coffee debate :)

Let us assume you are planning to go to a new place and haven’t looked at options for your dinner. It may be available in an hour but you just want to grab something to eat because you are hungry - maybe a sandwich and a drink (costs around £6). Home food is definitely cheaper but not available now, a great restaurant food will be good but costs more and you do not have time. A rapid fill in or a take away is a great option before you go home or go to the next best option. All these supermarkets ultra rapid falls in that category - they are not equivalent to home charger or replacement of 7kw shoppers heaven. They are quick fill in like a McDonalds for people who are on the road before they go to their home chargers or Tesla SC.

This is not home charger vs ultra rapid vs 7kw debate. Or coffee debate :)

Let us assume you are planning to go to a new place and haven’t looked at options for your dinner. It may be available in an hour but you just want to grab something to eat because you are hungry - maybe a sandwich and a drink (costs around £6). Home food is definitely cheaper but not available now, a great restaurant food will be good but costs more and you do not have time. A rapid fill in or a take away is a great option before you go home or go to the next best option. All these supermarkets ultra rapid falls in that category - they are not equivalent to home charger or replacement of 7kw shoppers heaven. They are quick fill in like a McDonalds for people who are on the road before they go to their home chargers or Tesla SC.
Yes; that's why there are two 'profiles'

The visitor on the way to another location, who will use the ultra rapid charger, maybe get a meal deal inside and take off.

And my use case, where I am a local, usually spend there an hour or more for the weekly shop, that's why ultra rapid is not a requirement, but a free / slower charge point would be seen as a perk and would definitely encourage me to shop more at Sainsbury (and even spend more time inside) vs another chain if I can get a nice top up

And my use case, where I am a local, usually spend there an hour or more for the weekly shop, that's why ultra rapid is not a requirement, but a free / slower charge point would be seen as a perk and would definitely encourage me to shop more at Sainsbury (and even spend more time inside) vs another chain if I can get a nice top up
Are you that tight that you'd be more likely to do some shopping somewhere because you can get about the equivalent of 30 pence worth of charging for free?

As said if its there and I'm going to be there for a little bit of time then I'd plug in. If I'm getting a bag out of the boot I can just as easily get the charge cable out too.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, but all things being equal it would be a consideration the same way a Clubcard, etc would, per the above.

Well actually...
I guess if you have a Clubcard, you prefer going to Tesco? Isn't that how the whole thing works? Saving pennies?
Not really, no. I have a clubcard and a nectar card but if it’s more convenient for me to go to Morrisons, Aldi or Lidl because it’s the nearest to where I am then that’s where I’ll go.

I can say, hand on heart, I’ve never been influenced to go shop somewhere because I have a points card there.

If it were up to me I’d do my shopping at Waitrose, but the one nearest to me is miles away so I do it at the Sainsbury’s that’s 5 minutes away instead

Exactly this.

But can't see the point of arguing with btc1k further....

View attachment 1010018
I didn't think having a different view was an argument..... a forum is a medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged...

It only becomes an argument when the views become angry or heated...

Relax dude, and don't use public chargers with all the associated capital costs that have to be paid for, if you don't want to.

P.S - I still buy lattes for £3.80 when away from home despite being able to make them at home for 38p.

Last edited:
I imagine that if Sainbury's do incentivise it, its likely to be via the Nectar card.. collect points while you charge. Much like how you get Nectar Points if you fill up an ICE car at a particular filling station (I forget which... but they have a partnership with one already, Esso maybe?)

I imagine that if Sainbury's do incentivise it, its likely to be via the Nectar card.. collect points while you charge. Much like how you get Nectar Points if you fill up an ICE car at a particular filling station (I forget which... but they have a partnership with one already, Esso maybe?)
Esso is the one, they also have some of their own station you can collect at as well.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
Who has a beans-to-cup coffee machine at home?

Me ... sort-of

But a fancy coffee machine is not equivalent to "home charging facilities" though

Mine is ... I think.

I used to have a manual-turn grinder (and that was fine, but a bit tedious), I have a little electric one now. And a Moka pot; my hob is induction, so I have to have a fancy-pants Bialetti Stainless steel one, but the original Aluminium hexagonal ones are fine on electric ring / gas and £15-ish. My only packing waste is the bag the beans came in.

Visitors comment how nice my coffee is, so I don't feel the need for a beans-to-cup machine (which is presumably some amount of hassle / cost to clean). I spend a reasonable amount on quality beans - but I reckon a fancy coffee machine won't make a purse out of a sow's ear either.

Reactions: yessuz and Durzel