Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying experience from hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After waiting over a year, I finally get to do the final build.
Wait over 3 weeks for “documents “
Got bill for car
As I live in Louisiana, I had to pay in full before shipping to Houston for pickup, which I did within 12 hours of receiving payment instructions on Aug 8
Car arrives in Houston 8 days later on the 16th for my scheduled delivery at 1 pm on the 21st
But not so fast
Informed today that car required an electric motor replacement, a not sure when part will arrive
So pickup reservation cancelled till further notice
Certainly hope driving and future service experience will out weigh purchase problems
Would not recommend buying a Tesla in a state with no factory dealerships at this time
Been driving Mercedes for 40 years and am afraid my local dealership may have an electric version before I get my model 3

Got bill for car
As I live in Louisiana, I had to pay in full before shipping to Houston for pickup, which I did within 12 hours of receiving payment instructions on Aug 8
Car arrives in Houston 8 days later on the 16th for my scheduled delivery at 1 pm on the 21st
But not so fast
Informed today that car required an electric motor replacement, a not sure when part will arrive
Certainly hope driving and future service experience will out weigh purchase problems
Would not recommend buying a Tesla in a state with no factory dealerships at this time
Been driving Mercedes for 40 years and am afraid my local dealership may have an electric version before I get my model 3
Your very first post here, just 3 weeks ago, was negative. Every post since has been as well. Maybe you are better of sticking with Mercedes. Tesla is not for everyone, just as MB

My family (us and parents) own two Model Ss and are receiving two Model 3s in the next few weeks - and we live 350 miles from the nearest service center. Used to work at a premium German car repair shop as a kid and have owned multiple BMWs. Love Tesla and their service. Feel for the OP but have certainly had a very positive experience here in the wilds of Idaho.

I feel that at this point in time, a Tesla is not for everyone and I cannot recommend it to everyone. There are plenty of people who want a nice vehicle to just drive and work without going through all the hassle. Tesla is working on getting to that stage and they got pretty good at it with the Model S, but the Model 3 threw the whole experience into the blender.

For anyone will looking for a great car, I'd of course recommend a Tesla, but for people who just want a great experience, give them a year or 2 after the initial surge of fans/reservations alpha/beta test their new mass market appeal.

I'd of course tell them to hold off buying any new car in that same time frame, lease sure, but Tesla will earn your $$$ sooner or later ;)

I find my relationship with my out of state SC to be superb. In fact even the one I go to 2,000 miles away for service in winter treats me just like my other out of state one. My Tesla's have no permanent home. No problem. Just wish I didn't live in a stupid state currently.

Seems like the distance is kind of an issue for the OP. Especially considering the tremendous stress at the moment. Face to face can soothe things over at times. Guess not here. Would like to keep you. You said till further notice. Still considering?

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and skitown
@Ohfarm, Tesla does not have dealerships. It has stores and service centers. Regardless, I don’t see what the closest one being out of state has to do with anything. You car would have needed the new part even if you could have picked it up in Louisiana. It’s not like you drove all the way to Houston and were told the car wasn’t ready, you were called and told five days before your scheduled pickup. I don’t see what you wanted Tesla to do differently or why the location matters.

Reactions: khraiv and P85_DA
I live 20 miles from one service center and 115 miles from a second one in Ohio. I would not buy one If I lived more than 50 miles away.

Perhaps they realize you don't live close to a service center so they are taking extra care to make sure your car will be trouble free.

there is a thing called mobile service where they come to you, which i find a lot easier and more convenient than going to a service center.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Got bill for car
But not so fast
You had to pay in full? I didn't.

That doesn't sound true at all. Bring your payment to the delivery everyone. Don't ACH a payoff.

Don't pre-pay for a car or a house before you take delivery.

You had to pay in full? I didn't.

That doesn't sound true at all. Bring your payment to the delivery everyone. Don't ACH a payoff.

Don't pre-pay for a car or a house before you take delivery.

Tesla sales are not allowed in Louisiana or Texas. So prepayment (buying the car in california) is legally required.

I wouldn't prepay. Period. I would go to a state that allows me to bring the payment and meet Tesla there.

Everyone gets a choice as to where they want to pick up their car.

for many, its not practical to travel to a far away state to do what you're suggesting. Driving a car back home thousands of miles will most certainly invite road damage that likely wouldn't have been there anyways. It takes me 4 hours to get to houston. the closest state that allows tesla sales that i can go to is jackonville FL, which is a 9 hour drive.

i know a good number of the tesla owners in louisiana. most of them did home delivery and thus prepaid, and none had issues that made them wish they inspected the car before buying.