Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from Tesla Germany from outside Germany (i.e. export to another EU country)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am not in Germany, but would like to know if I can buy a car from Tesla Germany and export it.

Has anyone done this? How did it work? What did you need to do? Were you able to order normaly through the website and did you enter a non German address? Or did someone at Tesla need to help you/do something for you in order to enable the sale?

Thanks

Yes, you can. For export you can buy it from Germany or Austria. When you make the order you must write an email or contact Tesla to make your order for export. In Germany is a little hard to get the temporary plates. This is the reason i bought my Y from Austria.

Yes, you can. For export you can buy it from Germany or Austria. When you make the order you must write an email or contact Tesla to make your order for export. In Germany is a little hard to get the temporary plates. This is the reason i bought my Y from Austria.

Thanks very much for this. So the does that mean I need to do it in this order:

1. Order the vehicle
2. Write to them to let them know it is for export

Also, do you happen to know if I can ask for a Net invoice?

Also do you happen to know where I need to write to? I assume it would be: [email protected]

Last question, I was told that if you order from Germany and enter a non-German address your order gets cancelled. I am assuming this will not happen if I write to them and let them know it is for export?

Thanks very much for this. So the does that mean I need to do it in this order:

1. Order the vehicle
2. Write to them to let them know it is for export

Also, do you happen to know if I can ask for a Net invoice?

Also do you happen to know where I need to write to? I assume it would be: [email protected]

Last question, I was told that if you order from Germany and enter a non-German address your order gets cancelled. I am assuming this will not happen if I write to them and let them know it is for export?
Yes, you can ask invoice without VAT. Write to [email protected] with you order number, invoice details and tell them that will be for export. They can send you an VAT declaration to fill (this is for Austria, I am not sure if in Germany is same). Write your address, no problem.

No we didn’t. After having handed in all required documents they came back and said their VAT manager didn’t authorise it. They gave me no reason as to why.

This never was a problem with Volvo, BMW or Mercedes. Not sure what the problem is with Tesla.

Yes the fee was refunded by Tesla.

So you could register yourself in Germany (move in), start a Company in Germany, buy the car in the name of the Company, sell the car onwards to Your own country, and dismantle the Company and de-register yourself from Germany? Or pay an import fee to a company that professionally does import of cars from Germany to Your country (or some other middle-man)?

Tesla sure is a strange company. Their manufacturing process is modern and pioneering. Their cars are some of the most efficient and their software experience is smooth. But when it comes to selling cars they are rigid and inflexible and can only support the 1-2 scenerios they've assumed will take place. Anything out of the norm and the customer experience goes south immediately. Ironically when it comes to buying cars in the manner I intended Volvo, BMW, Mercedes are super flexible, practical and accomodating.

• Funny
Reactions: Tiger
I know many people who have bought Teslas from Tesla Germany or Netherlands, and brought them to Finland. There should be no issue.

Only thing I can think of, sometimes cars don't have deductible VAT for some reason. Maybe if it has or hasn't been owned by a company?

I know many people who have bought Teslas from Tesla Germany or Netherlands, and brought them to Finland. There should be no issue.

Only thing I can think of, sometimes cars don't have deductible VAT for some reason. Maybe if it has or hasn't been owned by a company?

The issue isn't with importing in general, but buying directly from Tesla and whether they will sell with reverse vat when purchased from another EU country as a company car. As you see from the example above, they might arbitrarily decline.