Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from Tesla Germany from outside Germany (i.e. export to another EU country)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this topic and wanted to let you know my experience.
I'm from Belgium and bought mine in Belgium, quite good experience.
However, my sister bought one in France, terrible experience to say the least...

She bought one in February, after reservation and filling our own country the order was placed successfully.
The start of a journey: nobody knew what to do at Tesla, normally in EU I don't have to pay VAT in France for export, I need to pay VAT in Belgium.
However at Tesla the were being a pain in the ass.. no communication at all, not helping us further.

I am really really happy with my Tesla, but this was such an unpleasant experience...
We had multiple mails with different people at Tesla, to make a long story short: the only way to export the car was to pay VAT twice (one time in France, one time in Belgium). We drove a long way to France and picked the car up with a trailer. Even this was not smooth, because it was hard for them to fill in all documents because the car was for export. Nobody understood what to do.. in the end this was solved. After importing the car in Belgium I should get my VAT from France back.

But...

This almost took 4!! months, and it was quite a big chunk of money...
They even didn't want to pay our VAT from France back. We send multiple e-mails which most of them were leaved unanswered.
In the end we contacted our local Tesla dealer who helped us a lot. Without them I think this wasn't possible.

So my opinion: it's not worth it.
You will have lots of problems.

Just saw this topic and wanted to let you know my experience.
I'm from Belgium and bought mine in Belgium, quite good experience.
However, my sister bought one in France, terrible experience to say the least...

She bought one in February, after reservation and filling our own country the order was placed successfully.
The start of a journey: nobody knew what to do at Tesla, normally in EU I don't have to pay VAT in France for export, I need to pay VAT in Belgium.
However at Tesla the were being a pain in the ass.. no communication at all, not helping us further.

I am really really happy with my Tesla, but this was such an unpleasant experience...
We had multiple mails with different people at Tesla, to make a long story short: the only way to export the car was to pay VAT twice (one time in France, one time in Belgium). We drove a long way to France and picked the car up with a trailer. Even this was not smooth, because it was hard for them to fill in all documents because the car was for export. Nobody understood what to do.. in the end this was solved. After importing the car in Belgium I should get my VAT from France back.

But...

This almost took 4!! months, and it was quite a big chunk of money...
They even didn't want to pay our VAT from France back. We send multiple e-mails which most of them were leaved unanswered.
In the end we contacted our local Tesla dealer who helped us a lot. Without them I think this wasn't possible.

So my opinion: it's not worth it.
You will have lots of problems.

Ah, sure, I recommend buying as a company in which situation they have no other choice but to invoice reverse vat and you will pay vat only locally.