Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying my first tesla, inspection suggestions on a CPO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I am finally buying my first Tesla. Getting a MS 2015 70D. I am buying it from Tesla website.
1. what should I look for when i go to pick the car up for inspections, Scratches etc?
2. it comes with a 4yr/50k warranty, does this cover everything mechanical, alignment etc?
3. Any way to check the battery degradation?

Thank you

Here is things I missed because I was inexperienced, which I needed to get serviced later:

1) paint. Look for chips, cracks, past fixes of any kind, especially if done improperly. They will be visible. Do it slowly and under multiple lighting conditions if you can. Don’t rush it. Especially hood and bumper area since those can get beaten up a lot over time.

2) carpet condition in the trunk. On my car, the point where the carpet fits into the seat latch on the passenger side was damaged, producing terrible rattles on highway speeds. Lower the seats and inspect both sides closely.

3) parcel shelf!! Make sure there is one. In the excitement of buying, I forgot this and had to shell out extra $200 to buy it from a forum member here. Someone tried to sell me one for $350!!!

4) tires! Check tires very closely. check them for cracks or chips of any kind. I found a 5 inch razor thin hole in one tire after a few days, when I went to put air in them. Which brings me to my next point.

5) tire pressure. Buy a gauge in home depot for $5, and inspect them. Get some air immediately if they aren’t right.

Now for some things I would always check.

1) sunroof. If it has one, make sure it works correctly.

2) charging adapters. Make sure you have all of them.

3) rim condition.

4) trunk liftgate, make sure it opens and closes fine and doesn’t produce weird sounds.

5) frunk opening and closing.

6) open and close all doors multiple times to make sure there are no sketchy sounds.

7) lower all windows more than once and make sure it sounds and works correctly.

8) battery state. Ask them to have the car charged to 90% or 100%. Then, if it’s only displaying battery percentage, go to Display on the MCU and select the range/distance (can’t remember the exact name) option instead of energy, to see what the rated range really is.

9) seats. Make sure there are no stains or damage of any kind, outside of reasonable wear. Ensure seat adjustment works.

10) Check the windshield and carefully inspect that there are no cracks or rock chips.

Good luck!

...it comes with a 4yr/50k warranty, does this cover everything mechanical, alignment etc...

Not everything:

Wheel Alignment costs extra
No Tire coverage (you might try to get claims from tire manufacturers)
Air filters cost extra (regular air filters covered by pre-paid Maintenance Plans but not HEPA filter)
Brake pads / brake lubrication cost extra
Knocks, creaks, rattles, wind and road vibration repairs cost extra
Towing for collisions cost exra
Towing for running out of main battery costs extra

...Any way to check the battery degradation?...

I haven't heard any successful story of asking Tesla for a battery degradation report.

They just don't give it to you

Good luck!

Hello everyone, I am finally buying my first Tesla. Getting a MS 2015 70D. I am buying it from Tesla website.
1. what should I look for when i go to pick the car up for inspections, Scratches etc?
2. it comes with a 4yr/50k warranty, does this cover everything mechanical, alignment etc?

Thank you

Also, check for bubbles in the main screen along any edge. I got it like this when I picked mine up and didn't realize it, thanks to that great CPO inspection. What I thought was a road on the nav was actually the edge of a long bubble. Make sure the screen is in daytime mode, it will be easier to see.

Not everything:

Wheel Alignment costs extra
No Tire coverage (you might try to get claims from tire manufacturers)
Air filters cost extra (regular air filters covered by pre-paid Maintenance Plans but not HEPA filter)
Brake pads / brake lubrication cost extra
Knocks, creaks, rattles, wind and road vibration repairs cost extra
Towing for collisions cost exra
Towing for running out of main battery costs extra

I haven't heard any successful story of asking Tesla for a battery degradation report.

They just don't give it to you

Good luck!

thank you

Also, check for bubbles in the main screen along any edge. I got it like this when I picked mine up and didn't realize it, thanks to that great CPO inspection. What I thought was a road on the nav was actually the edge of a long bubble. Make sure the screen is in daytime mode, it will be easier to see.

Sure, I will keep that in mind. Thank you for you help!

Here is things I missed because I was inexperienced, which I needed to get serviced later:

1) paint. Look for chips, cracks, past fixes of any kind, especially if done improperly. They will be visible. Do it slowly and under multiple lighting conditions if you can. Don’t rush it. Especially hood and bumper area since those can get beaten up a lot over time.

2) carpet condition in the trunk. On my car, the point where the carpet fits into the seat latch on the passenger side was damaged, producing terrible rattles on highway speeds. Lower the seats and inspect both sides closely.

3) parcel shelf!! Make sure there is one. In the excitement of buying, I forgot this and had to shell out extra $200 to buy it from a forum member here. Someone tried to sell me one for $350!!!

4) tires! Check tires very closely. check them for cracks or chips of any kind. I found a 5 inch razor thin hole in one tire after a few days, when I went to put air in them. Which brings me to my next point.

5) tire pressure. Buy a gauge in home depot for $5, and inspect them. Get some air immediately if they aren’t right.

Now for some things I would always check.

1) sunroof. If it has one, make sure it works correctly.

2) charging adapters. Make sure you have all of them.

3) rim condition.

4) trunk liftgate, make sure it opens and closes fine and doesn’t produce weird sounds.

5) frunk opening and closing.

6) open and close all doors multiple times to make sure there are no sketchy sounds.

7) lower all windows more than once and make sure it sounds and works correctly.

8) battery state. Ask them to have the car charged to 90% or 100%. Then, if it’s only displaying battery percentage, go to Display on the MCU and select the range/distance (can’t remember the exact name) option instead of energy, to see what the rated range really is.

9) seats. Make sure there are no stains or damage of any kind, outside of reasonable wear. Ensure seat adjustment works.

10) Check the windshield and carefully inspect that there are no cracks or rock chips.

Good luck!
wow this is great, thank you!

I am waiting on my CPO to turn up so have been busy compiling a list. See below for what I have so far.

1 2x key fobs
2 Supercharging enabled
3 Autopilot enabled
4 All tires match and clear of issues
5 Charging kit with all adapters (including J1722)
6 All lights work
7 All windows work
8 Wipers work
9 Speakers work
10 Parcel shelf present
11 Rear window glass pitting
12 Sunroof opens/closes
13 Power lift gate function
14 Frunk function
15 Steering wheel controls
16 Both front seats function
17 All seat heaters work
18 Wiper blade condition
19 Previous user settings/details wiped
20 Miles match what I thought
21 No paint/panel issues beyond what was in photos
22 No rim issues beyond what was in photos
23 Front and rear floor mats
24 VIN matches paper work
25 Check mirrors work and fold in
26 Check charging port door opens
27 Rear seats fold up and down
28 Check rear lights for condensation
29 Front license plate holder
30 Check windscreen for chips
31 Take photos, notes and request due bill in writIng for any damage noted
32 Request service history
33 Check LTE connection
34 Connect phone to check Bluetooth
35 Check range on battery in % and miles

Thank you

Darxsys list looks pretty good. I’d add

Never take deliver of a wet car. The car should be dry and you should inspect it in good light.
Run a Carfax on it. Just to be safe.
Run the A/C, smell the air, make sure it isn’t musty.
Check the glass for cracks, even the glass roof/especially the glass roof. Look for windshield chips/cracks/dings.
Check the underside of the front fascia, it’s easy to scrape a low car on a curb or concrete tire stop.
Take a mirror, look at the jack points, see if there is damage to the battery near the jack points from an improper jack placement.
Check the front hood. One needs to be careful shutting the “frunk”, there is risk of bending the hood if done improperly

Look for evidence of protective film applied to the front of the car. If it is there, the previous owner probably took very good care of the car, not a guarantee but certainly encouraging. Look for curb rash on the wheels. If there’s curb rash, the owner didn’t mind scraping the wheels when parking. If that damage didn’t bother him, you’ll want to carefully look for other signs of neglect. It’s easy to rub a rim occasionally. Just a single bit of curb rash might be forgiven, a lot of it would make me suspicious. Check the seats for any tears. If it is a light color interior, look at the inside pillars and any roof lining.

I’d take a small flashlight with you and that mirror.

Plan to spend some time inspecting the car before you so anything with the paperwork. Once you sign the papers, the car is yours warts and all. It may have warts but the time to find them is before you take the car, not at home a day later. The dealership may seem rushed. They are rushed, not you, and if your detailed inspection is a time problem, it is their problem not yours. Never make their problems yours. They no longer recondition the cars. It’s a used car. They don’t do CPO any more, they sell used cars, so you should buy it like a used car, be suspicious, be careful, be meticulous. If they promise to fix something, let them get it fixed before you sign the papers. Motivation to honor sales promises takes a nosedive the moment the car is sold. If you do take it with a promise, get that promise in writing. It’s still almost worthless but a promise with nothing in writing is completely worthless.

If something isn’t right or if you are not sure, take a day and think about it. Don’t be pressured. This car costs a lot. Pressure always favors the dealer, never the buyer.

It’s probably a great car. You just need to confirm it.

I just saw your list. They probably won’t give you the service history. There isn’t much to service so that isn’t usually a problem.

Darxsys list looks pretty good. I’d add

Never take deliver of a wet car. The car should be dry and you should inspect it in good light.
Run a Carfax on it. Just to be safe.
Run the A/C, smell the air, make sure it isn’t musty.
Check the glass for cracks, even the glass roof/especially the glass roof. Look for windshield chips/cracks/dings.
Check the underside of the front fascia, it’s easy to scrape a low car on a curb or concrete tire stop.
Take a mirror, look at the jack points, see if there is damage to the battery near the jack points from an improper jack placement.
Check the front hood. One needs to be careful shutting the “frunk”, there is risk of bending the hood if done improperly

Look for evidence of protective film applied to the front of the car. If it is there, the previous owner probably took very good care of the car, not a guarantee but certainly encouraging. Look for curb rash on the wheels. If there’s curb rash, the owner didn’t mind scraping the wheels when parking. If that damage didn’t bother him, you’ll want to carefully look for other signs of neglect. It’s easy to rub a rim occasionally. Just a single bit of curb rash might be forgiven, a lot of it would make me suspicious. Check the seats for any tears. If it is a light color interior, look at the inside pillars and any roof lining.

I’d take a small flashlight with you and that mirror.

Plan to spend some time inspecting the car before you so anything with the paperwork. Once you sign the papers, the car is yours warts and all. It may have warts but the time to find them is before you take the car, not at home a day later. The dealership may seem rushed. They are rushed, not you, and if your detailed inspection is a time problem, it is their problem not yours. Never make their problems yours. They no longer recondition the cars. It’s a used car. They don’t do CPO any more, they sell used cars, so you should buy it like a used car, be suspicious, be careful, be meticulous. If they promise to fix something, let them get it fixed before you sign the papers. Motivation to honor sales promises takes a nosedive the moment the car is sold. If you do take it with a promise, get that promise in writing. It’s still almost worthless but a promise with nothing in writing is completely worthless.

If something isn’t right or if you are not sure, take a day and think about it. Don’t be pressured. This car costs a lot. Pressure always favors the dealer, never the buyer.

It’s probably a great car. You just need to confirm it.

I just saw your list. They probably won’t give you the service history. There isn’t much to service so that isn’t usually a problem.
This is great info, thank you. I will bring a flash light, mirror and a tire pressure reader.

Not to hijack, but to the OP's point, what recourse do you have if you find issues? Your deposit is non-refundable. You've basically agreed to buy the car "as is," true? Do you force the matter and get a promise in writing to fix the issues(s)? Does Tesla even do that, or is it futile, like getting a battery health report from them? Failing that, are you left with rejecting the unit and applying your deposit to another unit? Wanting to enter this market with eyes wide open, is all.