Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzz humming sound and drop in charge level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with Jason - if you aren’t driving the car much, dial it down to 16A which gives it more time to perform cooling cycles. Similarly, right now, you can start a charge on Range Mode and 12A to begin the first cooling cycle of that charge, which is coincidentally the longest. See if that brings her down below 31C with the fans running in your garage.

Started charging with 165 miles of standard range showing on the guage. A full standard charge on my car is right now 214 miles so I had 49 miles to makeup. I charged at 12 amps for the first 30 minutes in range mode and then changed it back to standard charge ,also at 12 amps, for the remainder of the charging. I had 2 fans running the whole time, one in the front and one in the back. Temperatures were in the upper 70s when charging was started, but probably in the low to mid 80s by the time charging finished. Pump is still running. I think my only hope will come next week when the mornings will get into the mid 60s. I will then try the same charging cycle.

Started charging with 165 miles of standard range showing on the guage. A full standard charge on my car is right now 214 miles so I had 49 miles to makeup. I charged at 12 amps for the first 30 minutes in range mode and then changed it back to standard charge ,also at 12 amps, for the remainder of the charging. I had 2 fans running the whole time, one in the front and one in the back. Temperatures were in the upper 70s when charging was started, but probably in the low to mid 80s by the time charging finished. Pump is still running. I think my only hope will come next week when the mornings will get into the mid 60s. I will then try the same charging cycle.

Out of curiosity, what temperature was the battery in upon completion?

It sounds like you might have an A/C problem. Does the A/C work? You should hear it coming on from the front of the car while charging. The car will continue to get warmer, as the cooling pump gets hot while running and transfers that heat into the coolant and thus the battery. The pump puts heat into the battery faster than it dissapates thru the battery case, and if your A/C is out you will eventually have a big problem. Fans on the car do almost nothing unless the outside temp is low. The heat exchanger for the battery coolant (cooled by the A/C) is on the right rear of the car, but has little surface area for it to be cooled by air. It is underneath the top fender vent. If you can somehow blow cool air into that area it will help a little. Anything else is virtually useless.

Your best bet is to open the trunk and just shut down the APS (roll the window down). The pump shut off temp (sleep mode) is about 86'F, so any temps lower than that will allow the battery to cool down.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
DeedWest, I did not check the battery temperature after the charge was complete. Since I do not have any of the remote monitoring, I have to go into the diagnostic screen to find the temps under vitals. Anyways, now 4 or 5 hours after the charge was complete the max battery temperature is 34C.

The AC in the car works fine. It keeps me cool while driving and it does cycle on and off during charging. Due to the warm nights my garage has remained in the low to mid 80s for several weeks. Over the 9 years I have had the Roadster that pump has always run continuously during most of July and August

Success! Last night I pulled the Roadster out of the garage. Max battery temperature was 35C. Came out early in the morning and checked, Max battery temperature was 34C. I then initated a Range charge at 12amps with the car still outside and added the 2 fans front and rear. I also opened the trunk for good measure..

Outside temperatures looked to be in the low 70s. Ran the Range charge for just under an hour and a half and then stopped it. Checked and the Max battery temperature was 29C. Shifted the car back to standard and checked back about 10 minutes later. The pump had stopped running for the first time in a few weeks.

Success! Last night I pulled the Roadster out of the garage. Max battery temperature was 35C. Came out early in the morning and checked, Max battery temperature was 34C. I then initated a Range charge at 12amps with the car still outside and added the 2 fans front and rear. I also opened the trunk for good measure..

Outside temperatures looked to be in the low 70s. Ran the Range charge for just under an hour and a half and then stopped it. Checked and the Max battery temperature was 29C. Shifted the car back to standard and checked back about 10 minutes later. The pump had stopped running for the first time in a few weeks.

now get ovms and you can read the temps in Fahrenheit with easy convenience from your mobile device without checking the roadsters vdm, I timed it last night; car goes to sleep within 2 minutes of ideal temperature.

Reactions: Bunnak

Maybe just get two heavy duty fans from Home Depot and have them on while charging and you won't have to use intermittent range charging just to make your car go to sleep? I don't think range charging was developed for that purpose so I'm not sure if in the long run it's good for your battery health and longevity.