Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Electrical Expert: I can hear a low frequency humming when my Tesla is charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so the last few nights I've been woken up in the early morning by a very low frequency humming sound. After the first couple of times, I thought "maybe it has something to do with when my Tesla is charging."

So I pulled up the app, and verified that the car was charging. I then stopped charging, and the humming sound stopped as well. When I started charging again, the humming sound started again.

Is this something I should be concerned with? The sound is coming from my breaker box, I know it isn't the charger or the car, as they're far enough away that they're likely not the sound.

For context, before I bought my Tesla, I had a new 200 amp breaker box installed and all the wiring and charger installation was done by an electrician.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Is there any possible danger here? (Google was not helpful, with answers ranging from "it's normal" to "it's dangerous!")

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

So I went out to my breaker box (it's exterior) and felt the breaker, and it wasn't hot. Weird thing was, I couldn't hear the humming sound when standing there.

I've also since dropped the amps from 48 to 30 and the humming sound is eliminated (or at least has been reduced enough that it doesn't wake me up.)

My guess is that you just have a weird harmonic with the wiring or something in the circuit breaker. Tightening the wire hold down screws or moving the wires a bit in the circuit box would probably eliminate it. Turn off the main breaker and it's a pretty easy thing to do.