Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing noise from one speaker in liftgate (Model S 2016 MCU2/AP3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all you with the buzzing noise that goes away with the screen brightness, does it go away when you have ambient lights off?

For ambient lights to work properly you need to turn the car and headlines on after getting in, otherwise it auto shut offs after a bit

I have had my Dec. 2016 Model S with premium sound into SC three times for this buzzing tailgate speaker on driver’s side. They act like they have never seen the issue and claim a fix each time (loose connection, reversed wiring, etc.). As of yesterday day They recommend a new $500 amp due to likely blown channel. Does anyone have the actual language on work order on what fixed this issue so I can just hand it to technician? Thanks.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I have had my Dec. 2016 Model S with premium sound into SC three times for this buzzing tailgate speaker on driver’s side. They act like they have never seen the issue and claim a fix each time (loose connection, reversed wiring, etc.). As of yesterday day They recommend a new $500 amp due to likely blown channel. Does anyone have the actual language on work order on what fixed this issue so I can just hand it to technician? Thanks.
Read my post #30

I have a 2016 Model S 75 (Software upgraded from 60) and have only had the buzzing sound problem since they upgraded my MCU a few years ago. I have taken it in once before and they could not reproduce. I have it in the shop right now and again they were not able to reproduce. I have demonstrated the sound with this video as well as told them I only heard it since the MCU was replaced as well as hypothesized on it being a harness issue. They make it seem like they have never seen this issue before so it's interesting to see how many people here have seen this problem... and on the same model and same year.. Very interesting this wouldn't just be a known issue.

Is anyone experiencing this issue that isn't on a 2016 and hasn't had their MCU replaced?

My buzzing noise:

To summarize others that have had solutions to this problem, I have placed those consolidated remarks here:

1. **************************
When I went to pick up the car I spoke with the technician that worked on my car.
He told me he found the cause of the noise. He first checked between the amplifier and the speakers and found no issue there.
Then he checked between the MCU and the amp. and he found a high resistance on a split pin connector between the MCU and the amp. He fixed it and the noise went away.

The following is what was listed on the invoice:

From Tesla technician:
Concern: Customer states: Touchscreen - The front passenger speaker still makes a loud buzzing sound like a drill. It’s been like this for over a year even after MCU upgrade. Would really like a solution to be found.

Verified customer concern found right front door speaker emitting a buzzing noise. Tested circuit from speaker to amplifier and from amplifier to mcu and verified correct continuity. Found loose pin at connector behind mcu , the signal for the right front speaker. Harness Connector - Repair Using Connector Terminal from Wire Harness Repair Kit. Verified Proper Operation.

2. **************************
From Tesla technician:
Performed inspection of audio system, amplifier and respective speakers. Removed inner trim panels to check for noise, could not recreate through having the volume down and contactors ON. Attempted to recreate noise but unable to do so. Removed MCU (touchscreen assembly) and found a soft connection, re-secured connection properly and verified proper operation.

Based on findings suspect this soft set connection may have been the cause to potential low frequency buzzing. Recommend customer to continue to monitor vehicle and if issue occurs again please recommend to client to take a video with the source of the issue along with current touchscreen settings and exact conditions when it occurs for further evaluation.

3. **************************
From Tesla technician:
Inspected vehicle verified customer concern. Secured thermal controller harness. Verified issue is no longer occurring at this time