Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Facelift 2016.5 wind noise - Simple fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a 2016.5 model S, which had a lot of wind noise but I ended up fixing it in about 10 minutes and weather stripping from Amazon for 10 bucks.

I starting having more wind noise as the original weatherstrip degraded overtime. The solution was quite simple. Weatherstrip with dual sided tape was added to the areas that it was affecting. Make sure you clean it well before applying. And use heavy duty silicone spray afterwards on all weather strips. I will show pics.

Since there was 25 feet of material for $10 there is enough to cover two doors and have enough for the rear doors.

So far just ran into a few minor issues but otherwise a reliable car that has FUSC, FSD, P100D with no ludicrous.
IMG_3325.jpeg
image.jpg

Most recent needs repairs are replacing the half shafts at the Stockton service center at a fraction of the cost due to a common issue. ($450 What a deal!) Swapped from 21” staggered to 19”s stock 245/45. ($600 tires) ($400 rims from ad) ($80 4 new TPMS) Fixed the left tail gate light (DIY). ($250) At 103k the car feels even smoother and quieter. Feels like it was just brought back to life again for under $1800.
IMG_3326.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: maximizese
I bought a 24.00 noise kit for my 2021 Model S Plaid refresh which is a large hollow rubber band that goes around the sunroof and across the front windshield.

But it kept coming out so I used the tube on the sides but filled the windshield gap with black silicone.

I went over it a second time to make it flush and went down the sides of the windshield.

I also duct taped up the hinge areas.

It's pretty good now but maybe I'll try this extra weatherstripping.

Last edited:
Reactions: KalJoMoS
The wind noise is getting more pronounced in our 138K mile/10.2 year old S. The areas where you added the stripping is where I suspect my noise is coming from. I already have some of this from when I was replacing some stripping for a few casements windows and I'm sorta dumbfounded to not had thought of doing this on my own. Thanks for sharing and I'll be sure to take a crack at this.

@tldickerson - good question. I also installed it on two front doors and not the rear yet. So far what I have noticed is that it is a lot less wind noise from the doors in general. It is like night and day difference with the triangular window. as far as the ones on the door, they help keep the water out but the reason I did it was because there was a kit online that sold the same exact seals. I just that it won’t hurt to add more. The only thing I noticed is that you do have to close the door just slightly harder. Not a biggie for me. Hope this helps everyone. The wind noise has been bothering me for a few years. I just decided to take it by the horns and try something different.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

@tldickerson - good question. I also installed it on two front doors and not the rear yet. So far what I have noticed is that it is a lot less wind noise from the doors in general. It is like night and day difference with the triangular window. as far as the ones on the door, they help keep the water out but the reason I did it was because there was a kit online that sold the same exact seals. I just that it won’t hurt to add more. The only thing I noticed is that you do have to close the door just slightly harder. Not a biggie for me. Hope this helps everyone. The wind noise has been bothering me for a few years. I just decided to take it by the horns and try something different.
View attachment 1023774View attachment 1023775View attachment 1023776
Remember not to cover the hole where water comes out

Reactions: GOVA
I bought a 24.00 noise kit for my 2021 Model S Plaid refresh which is a large hollow rubber band that goes around the sunroof and across the front windshield.

But it kept coming out so I used the tube on the sides but filled the windshield gap with black silicone.

I went over it a second time to make it flush and went down the sides of the windshield.

I also duct taped up the hinge areas.

It's pretty good now but maybe I'll try this extra weatherstripping.
@Exclaiber - thanks for the thorough pics and info about the sunroof. Do you mind sharing the link of where you bought this kit? I may have to do the same for that extra seal.

Did it help with the wind noise?
Absolutely 100%. This MS had most of the wind noise coming from that OEM weatherstrip, specifically the triangle window portion. Based on the design and material used this is a flaw by design and reminds me of the trunk tail light design where the foam can only be compressed once. For example, if you were to remove the tail light due to an accident and have them reinstall back again, it will never be the same because the foam has always already been compressed.

I’ve been wanting to fix this problem for a while, after diagnosing where the problem was coming from, I have realized why would we change the whole molding for wind noise when the dealership clearly will use that as a solution however, with a little bit of creativity modification we could get this fixed I hope somebody can come out with a more professional way to do this.

• Informative
Reactions: johnnycnote
I’ve been wanting to fix this problem for a while, after diagnosing where the problem was coming from, I have realized why would we change the whole molding for wind noise when the dealership clearly will use that as a solution however, with a little bit of creativity modification we could get this fixed I hope somebody can come out with a more professional way to do this.
Not that I do not have that wind noise but why can’t you reset that window sealing yourself as when I asked service to address the matter they only changed out one side (as it had few wear-and-tear issues) and on other the mechanic re-adjusted it. In matter of fact this side is now much better regarding the noise as is the side with new sealing.

Not that I do not have that wind noise but why can’t you reset that window sealing yourself as when I asked service to address the matter they only changed out one side (as it had few wear-and-tear issues) and on other the mechanic re-adjusted it. In matter of fact this side is now much better regarding the noise as is the side with new sealing.
I did that first. Just pull the weatherstrip out and reset it, however in my case it worked for a day but not a permanent fix. The reason, as I stated was that overtime, it just sags, and it wears down these type of frameless doors always have that issue unfortunately.

Reactions: maximizese
@Exclaiber - thanks for the thorough pics and info about the sunroof. Do you mind sharing the link of where you bought this kit? I may have to do the same for that extra seal.
RPM Tesla