Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYD Dolphin $38,890

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is $36K & it will be raised to $39K, after the flood of orders come in, as was the case with the Atto 3.
Will be Australia's cheapest EV & have plenty of real world range.
Hoping orders open prior to June 30th, so can claim $3K rebate before our recalcitrant state government cancels program

Will be interesting to see what they actually price the car at. EVDirect/Luke Todd don’t have the best record at keeping price point promises etc..

(And that’s as an owner of a BYD Atto 3)

Cars seem pretty good however…

BYD has announced its new model – the BYD Dolphin – will start from $38,890 before on-road costs.

The entry-level Dolphin is expected to be powered by a 70kW/180Nm electric motor and a 44.9kWh battery pack, good for 340km of claimed driving range in European WLTP lab testing, and zero to 100km/h acceleration in a claimed 12.3 seconds.

A more powerful version is available overseas with a 150kW/310Nm electric motor and 60.48kWh battery good for 427km of estimated WLTP range.

Just ordered a base model.
Includes plenty of features & safety technology that Tesla doesn’t even have on a Model S/X
Delivery due September/October

Imagine if you’re in Queensland - these would be $35K drive away after state rebate

Reactions: johnchidgey
Interior not as whacky as the Atto3 but still too much happening for me.
A standard no fruit, no whack interior A-B car similar to the original Hyundai Getz would be a go for businesses for metro day to day run around I would think.
That is where the MG4 base model will probably shine. It's also got a 51 kW battery which probably makes up for a little less efficiency.
More choice always good.

Yes it actually can.
We had two on order for quite a while now but cancelled one as have cut one of our metro techs.
Not sure we will go ahead with the other either as the economic outlook isn't that crash hot so bean counters are worried.

Interior not as whacky as the Atto3 but still too much happening for me.
Funny you should mention that. I sat in the passenger side of the Dolphin at the launch last night and a lady sat in the drivers seat. She immediately said "Too many buttons and knobs." Thinking she was a Tesla owner I said, "I own a Tesla, so I know what you mean." She has a Model Y ;).

From the people that I talked to, there were a lot of BYD owners or those that had already placed and order for an Atto 3 at the event. We will get a Dolphin (Dynamic spec.) for the extended family to use, so my mum will buy it and the wife will use it too. It was a toss up between this and the MG4. I think the Dolphin interior and features put it at the top of our list.

It will be interesting to compare a M3P with the Dolphin Dynamic, especially the acceleration ;).

Side note, I was standing behind Tom from Ludicrous Feed as he prepared to do some interior recordings. I just had a quick chat, thanking him for making his videos.

Funny you should mention that. I sat in the passenger side of the Dolphin at the launch last night and a lady sat in the drivers seat. She immediately said "Too many buttons and knobs." Thinking she was a Tesla owner I said, "I own a Tesla, so I know what you mean." She has a Model Y ;).

From the people that I talked to, there were a lot of BYD owners or those that had already placed and order for an Atto 3 at the event. We will get a Dolphin (Dynamic spec.) for the extended family to use, so my mum will buy it and the wife will use it too. It was a toss up between this and the MG4. I think the Dolphin interior and features put it at the top of our list.

It will be interesting to compare a M3P with the Dolphin Dynamic, especially the acceleration ;).

Side note, I was standing behind Tom from Ludicrous Feed as he prepared to do some interior recordings. I just had a quick chat, thanking him for making his videos.
I’m into elegant simplicity and think the aged model S/X has the ratio of screens and knobs/stalks right. I know a lot of people who have bought an alternative EV as they think the model 3/Y has gone substantially too far in the removal of knobs. All comes down to person choice.

I'm not really worried about buttons or knobs, if they are there and they serve the purpose then all good and well. If its all on a screen and it works then its the same as its serving its purpose.
The interior design elements of the BYD are just not to my liking at all (especially the Atto3) and I suspect will not age that well. Even the shots of the Seal look still too whacky - they need some new interior designers, but I suspect that is what the Chinese market likes at these price points? But Nio seem to have a good handle on it but are in the upper classes.
As we spend a lot of time inside our cars it makes more sense to me that the interior is to our liking.

BYD could have lowered the price by removing the glass roof, putting on cloth seats, reducing the color choice, removing powered front seats and phone wireless charging pads. Could also make onboard sat nav an option and I bet most people will use Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

Reactions: positiv
BYD could have lowered the price by removing the glass roof, putting on cloth seats, reducing the color choice, removing powered front seats and phone wireless charging pads. Could also make onboard sat nav an option and I bet most people will use Android Auto or Apple Carplay.
Yes, it seems that they lost there way since first coming onto the AU scene with all the fanfare. EV direct/BYD were all about being cheap but all the extras are lining pockets. These cars should be very low $30k's for some hefty market penetration in the volume end.

Reactions: positiv
Yes, it seems that they lost there way since first coming onto the AU scene with all the fanfare. EV direct/BYD were all about being cheap but all the extras are lining pockets. These cars should be very low $30k's for some hefty market penetration in the volume end.
Well, TSLA shareholders constantly justified price rises even if it was price gouging & accuse BYD of being unprofitable (untrue).
BYD is miles better placed for the mass car market than Tesla.