Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYD? good investment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BYD is down substantially I guess since the Buffett Bounce. I think they are positioning to be the low price battery and automotive competitor long term. Not Tesla quality but may be a big deal worldwide for small inexpensive cars, the huge China market and batteries. I am tempted to start some small investments over time to hold long term. There are many more on here who know more about China etc and I would like to hear your thoughts.

BYD has a foothold in export, mostly for the E6 taxi. They also are low cost battery producers, but thus far have concentrated on cheap rather than energy dense. However their big story is busses, which are pretty good and are the major value producers today.

I think BYD represents a good enough fling that I found their ADR's good speculations. Take a quick look at the long chart and you'll see little overall movement other than the 'Buffet Bounce', but with typical volatility and modest float. If you choose to buy and hold you'll be betting on a strong future for them, including solar power and energy storage. Their intention has been to be a Chinese national Tesla, philosophically, but not in market positioning.

Maybe this will be wise, but I'm happy to wait and watch, expecting to make money long term.

Context: I buy and hold, including speculations like BYD. Long term that has worked very well but I never buy anything I don't think I understand.

There is a separate thread that talked about BYD as an investment:

Hedging Tesla, buying batteries?

Thanks. I'll look there. I am trying to identify other likely BEV/Battery mfgs who will occupy the low end market. I hope Tesla will never be like the first Datsun or Hundai of the market but there is likely a place for such a manufacturer especially one that makes batteries. BYD came to mind as a likely candidate.