Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hedging Tesla, buying batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
What do investors think about buying BYD, and Samsung SDI as a hedge against Tesla?

I believe Tesla is poised for long term success. While they may be late and run into bumps, the future looks bright for Tesla with the Model 3 and Energy storage solutions.

However, I can see Tesla running into competition or regulatory barriers overseas where they have less opportunity to control their fortunes. I can see TSLA getting hammered from delays or unforeseen bad press.

Nonetheless I feel that it's clear that BEV is the future. Companies will succeed right along Tesla. Thinking by investing into alternatives in the BEV market you have a hedge against TSLA during down times.

Would appreciate thoughts and opinions.

Specs of their bus. Is that good enough for a days use or do you need to have a rotating fleet?

Tesla can easily do this but its not on their roadmap.

upload_2017-1-28_8-22-7.png

I've thought about it. I'm afraid to say I never spent the time needed to get a clear read on BYD's financials (if anyone's got links to their latest annual and quarterly report, that would be useful for that, I'm sure).

The biggest thing that strikes out to me is BYD is trading in the middle of its 52 week range.
There is more caution at the extreme ends.

I've thought about it. I'm afraid to say I never spent the time needed to get a clear read on BYD's financials (if anyone's got links to their latest annual and quarterly report, that would be useful for that, I'm sure).

Based on this article you may already own it (as an owner of Berkshire Hathaway--oddly when I look up BH's holdings on Edgar I don't see BYD in there, maybe direct non-stock investment?):

Samsung takes stake in Chinese electric-car maker BYD, joining Warren Buffett

Also Samsung took a stake with BYD as well.

FWIW make sure you trade the correct ticker:

Symbol BYD is a gaming stock, BYDDY or BYDDF I believe are the appropriate tickers.

Reactions: MXWing
Based on this article you may already own it (as an owner of Berkshire Hathaway--oddly when I look up BH's holdings on Edgar I don't see BYD in there, maybe direct non-stock investment?):

Samsung takes stake in Chinese electric-car maker BYD, joining Warren Buffett

Also Samsung took a stake with BYD as well.

FWIW make sure you trade the correct ticker:

Symbol BYD is a gaming stock, BYDDY or BYDDF I believe are the appropriate tickers.

Yes one is boyd gaming. Maybe there is a lot of action on the wrong stock and Boyd Gaming surges on Monday lol.

Could it be under BRK.A?

Yes one is boyd gaming. Maybe there is a lot of action on the wrong stock and Boyd Gaming surges on Monday lol.

Could it be under BRK.A?

I looked on Edgar (sec.gov), didn't see it as a listed share holding for Berkshire. Funny thing is I couldn't get Edgar to recognize brk.a and somehow got it to bring up Berkshire in a roundabout way.

I couldn't figure out how to look up the correct Chinese financial statements, though admittedly I didn't try very hard. Maybe someone else will have better luck. I don't know where to find the financial statements for BAIC or SAIC or LeEco, either...

Those are just summaries, I'm looking for the full financial statements. (First rule of long-term individual stock investing: read the footnotes. All the important information is in the footnotes.)

OK, here we are:
BYD Company Limited Investor Relations, English

I guess I was way too lazy in researching last time, that's not hard to find at all :)

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing and GoTslaGo
Those are just summaries, I'm looking for the full financial statements. (First rule of long-term individual stock investing: read the footnotes. All the important information is in the footnotes.)

OK, here we are:
BYD Company Limited Investor Relations, English

I guess I was way too lazy in researching last time, that's not hard to find at all :)

What do you think so far? I'll review when I can as well. The top image is meant to inspire confidence LOL

upload_2017-2-1_12-46-13.png