Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • In contrast to beef, Impossible Burger is also a good source of fiber, an excellent source of thiamin and folate, and contains twice the iron, twice the potassium and eight times the calcium per serving as beef from a cow.
  • Impossible Burger is not a nutritional substitute for a green salad or a bowl of lentils and rice – and that's by design. Data shows that consumers who choose Impossible Burger are almost always choosing it as an alternative to meat from a cow, not in place of whole vegetables or vegan meals.
  • Finally, Impossible Burger contains none of the animal hormones, animal antibiotics, or highly processed lean finely textured beef associated with animal ground beef.

They went there for gold, but came back with something much more valuable.

While we are getting slightly off topic, it must be understood that maize was not valuable at all to the Europeans at the outset; in fact, it led to many poor people contracting pellagra. The niacin (vitamin B3) that is in maize is bound to a complex cellulose molecule within the kernel. Our bodies cannot metabolize this cellulose; as a result this essential nutrient passes through our digestive process unavailable.

The conquistadores who brought maize to the old world did not realize that the Aztecs and the other native Americans in the new world cooked the maize in a mixture of wood ashes and water. This is a solution with a high pH that dissolves this complex cellulose molecule thereby freeing up the niacin for human metabolism. This process also enabled the ground maize to make corn flour/masa for tortillas and other uses. Clearly maize was an integral part of their diet.

For @ohmman, this process is called nixtamalization. Nixtamalization has other purposes, but the primary one for survival is to free up the niacin to prevent pellagra.

Who among us hasn't grown corn and made their own nixtamalized tortillas?
I am confident that this is on your to do list, Ohmman. When you are ready, I'll get some seed corn (white dent for human consumption) from my sources here in the Valley. About three pounds should square you away for a nice plot. I trust you have sources for limestone or K2CO3 to cook the kernels. Might be a fun autumn project!

They also need to start a catchy ad campaign with a deep masculine voice like Sam Elliott when he did the voice over for, "Beef. It's what's for dinner." In addition, the stirring rendition of Copland's "Hoedown" mixed in with the visuals made for a compelling commercial. Made me wanna go out and grab me a T-bone.

James Earl Jones ("This is CNN.") is pushing 90, so he probably isn't doing much voice over these days. Kris Kristofferson is "only" 70-something, so he might work. Then they need to work on suitable music to accompany their sales pitch.

Here is Sam Elliot's voice and persona with the coda of "The Big Lebowski:"

I bought a box of frozen Beyond Meat burgers to evaluate what I had invested in. First off I was appalled about how much plastic was used in the packaging. Then when I took a burger out of the packaging I thought it smelled like dog food. When I cooked one, it stunk up the house pretty bad (I could still smell it when I came home from work the next day). I ate it with a keto bun, cheddar cheese, and ample amounts of ketchup. It was actually an enjoyable meal and I liked the taste and texture, but still just based on the smell and wasteful packaging I couldn't help but feel like I should sell my stock and by something else. Are their other products better than the burgers?

I bought a box of frozen Beyond Meat burgers to evaluate what I had invested in. First off I was appalled about how much plastic was used in the packaging. Then when I took a burger out of the packaging I thought it smelled like dog food. When I cooked one, it stunk up the house pretty bad (I could still smell it when I came home from work the next day). I ate it with a keto bun, cheddar cheese, and ample amounts of ketchup. It was actually an enjoyable meal and I liked the taste and texture, but still just based on the smell and wasteful packaging I couldn't help but feel like I should sell my stock and by something else. Are their other products better than the burgers?
It always amazes me that when there are wonderful veggie recipes that have been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years, that people want to buy pretend meat products.

I don't know how long ago this was but they've changed the recipe and I find the smell is much less objectionable. Also I don't buy the pre-made patties I buy the bulk packaged ground burger, it's just a vacuum sealed plastic wrapper. I just used some to make an Italian sausage patty. Their Spicy Breakfast Sausage patties are really good IMO and just come in paper box, no plastic.

It always amazes me that when there are wonderful veggie recipes that have been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years, that people want to buy pretend meat products.
I haven't found any that taste like meat without a lot of work, and then still often fall short. Beyond and Impossible are quick and easy and can fool meat eaters.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
I haven't found any that taste like meat without a lot of work, and then still often fall short. Beyond and Impossible are quick and easy and can fool meat eaters.
I don't doubt that, but the way to eat more veggies is, well, to eat more veggies. The problem is that most people are familiar with either tasteless restaurant veggies--particularly the horrid ones found at "family" restaurants--or Grandmothers overcooked veggies which are even less tasty (apologies to those Grandmothers who actually cook tasty veggies).

To be fair, I don't think many people take real raw meat out of its plastic wrappers, smell it, and think "Yum!"

Honestly, I think the place where BYND and Impossible will be the most successful are restaurants. I've never bought a Beyond Burger or Impossible meat from a grocery store, but I've had both out to eat at restaurants many times. If my choice is between a beef burger and a Beyond Burger on a menu, I'll take the Beyond every time.