Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ca License And Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up our new Model 3 tomorrow! Had a quick question, how long is the license and registration good for that comes with the purchase price? Will our car come with plates, or will we need to go by the DMV/wait for them in the mail? TIA guys, first time buying new!

Thanks everybody! Great info :)

Did all of you use the included front plate holder? Did it damage the paint at all?

i did not stick the front plate holder because 1- I don't like the look of it 2- the glue will be a pain to remove if i will decide to apply wrap and/or coat.
you just need to signa waiver stating that they offered and you declined. no big deal. just releases them of liability.

I purchased the Ottosteer magnetic plate, and I keep the bracket in the trunk, should I need to attach it on the fly, or park the car downtown in SF or LA.

congrats and welcome to the EV family

i did not stick the front plate holder because 1- I don't like the look of it 2- the glue will be a pain to remove if i will decide to apply wrap and/or coat.
you just need to signa waiver stating that they offered and you declined. no big deal. just releases them of liability.

I purchased the Ottosteer magnetic plate, and I keep the bracket in the trunk, should I need to attach it on the fly, or park the car downtown in SF or LA.

congrats and welcome to the EV family
That is exactly the reason we didn't stick it on as well. Thank you for the recommendation- I think we'll go that route as well.
Thank you so much, we are so happy to be here!

Hey Cosmic. I don't have much of a problem sticking mine on worrying about removal. Some friends are into "shaving" their cars by removing all glued on trims and decals with a heat gun. Some manufacturers even have recommended temp.settings so you don't scorch their paints. I find my wife's hair dryer is just got enough to unstick most body trims turned all the way up.
I like the way it looks but I'm installing a clear cover over it that has a slight convexity to it to aid in aerodynamics.
I read a lot about wraps but the 3's paint is georgeous, planning to ceramic coat and put on some dark glasses. Either way you go, good luck, you do have lots of options and a really cool ride!!:)

Hey Cosmic. I don't have much of a problem sticking mine on worrying about removal. Some friends are into "shaving" their cars by removing all glued on trims and decals with a heat gun. Some manufacturers even have recommended temp.settings so you don't scorch their paints. I find my wife's hair dryer is just got enough to unstick most body trims turned all the way up.
I like the way it looks but I'm installing a clear cover over it that has a slight convexity to it to aid in aerodynamics.
I read a lot about wraps but the 3's paint is georgeous, planning to ceramic coat and put on some dark glasses. Either way you go, good luck, you do have lots of options and a really cool ride!!:)
Our first coat of ceramic coating is curing now! You're so right, the paint looks SO good! I think we're going to play it safe around town without the front plate on until our magnetic plate gets in the mail, and then we'll put that on.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
I. Put the front plate on cause I got cited on the last car where I elected to leave it off. CA law requires it though it seems I’m the only person ever to get a ticket by the number missing front plates I see every day.

That said, I have the chrome Model 3 license plate cover that looks great.

Reactions: Kleenerth3