Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Messed up DMV Registration; took car away and gave me a loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Morning All,
I have read alot about Tesla messing up registrations and can't particularly find my exact case. Originally Tesla had me refill out the DMV paperwork and send it to them, a few weeks later I get a call saying my paperwork is still messed up on their end. They supposedly STILL messed up my license plate number and the rep wouldn't tell me what else is messed up, but she sounded frantic. They came to my work and picked up my brand new model 3 and dropped me off a beat loaner model y saying I can use that until my registration is fixed. I appreciate the loaner, however how long am I going to be out of my new car and in this beater ? What am I paying my lease for if I don't have my car? I don't feel a loaner is suffice to my car payment each month. Should I bring this up to the tesla rep and see what they can do? Has anyone been in this situation? Thank you.

Relax.

You’ve not provided much pertinent information here. For starters, what exactly is messed up such that they’d have to take the car back? What time frame did the person you’ve been talking to give you for fixing the issue?
The information on the registration paperwork is not correct. The license plate number supplied on my vehicle doesn't match the one they have on the DMV paperwork. When I questioned the issue, the lady said she sees multiple issues regarding the paperwork. That's all I was told. Regarding timeframe, until they get my permanent registration from NYS DMV which more than likely is 6 weeks?

They came to my work and picked up my brand new model 3 and dropped me off a beat loaner model y saying I can use that until my registration is fixed

Unless they gave you a car with dents in it or something, there really isnt such a thing as a "beater model Y" when the car you own is a model 3. If you had a model X plaid or something, then I understand someone saying "beater model Y" or, frankly, I consider old model S car loaners as "beaters", but these are similar trim level cars.

The information on the registration paperwork is not correct. The license plate number supplied on my vehicle doesn't match the one they have on the DMV paperwork. When I questioned the issue, the lady said she sees multiple issues regarding the paperwork. That's all I was told. Regarding timeframe, until they get my permanent registration from NYS DMV which more than likely is 6 weeks?
Ok. 💩happens. Drive the loaner they gave you and carry on until the permanent paperwork comes through. Not really seeing a huge issue.

The Model Y is a more expensive vehicle than the 3, so you’re actually getting a deal on the lease payment.

I hope you took a note or screenshot of the mileage on your new 3 before Tesla picked it up. When you get it back, any additional miles that amount to anything more than a trip to the nearest SC should be considered suspicious.

I had registration issues with Tesla before, taking six damn months for them to get DMV paperwork straight but they never took the car back. They just kept issuing temporary tags for me until the permanent ones were ready. This was in 2019 on a used Model S.