Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[CA] What evidence is enough for car insurance claim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[In California!] My new Tesla was dinged while parked, when the driver of the car next to ours opened the door too hard. Some of the red paint from the other person's car has transferred over to mine. While my wife saw the entire event from within our car, we unfortunately lost the video recording of it that was initially captured by our car's cameras (I think because our usb was low on memory or something). We have some photos (of the door of the other person's car touching ours) and videos that we managed to recover: Car Ding :( - Google Drive
(And we also have the other person's info such as drivers license, plate number, and insurance policy number).

Question: Is this enough evidence for an insurance claim to prove that the other person is at-fault? What I am afraid of never getting my deductible back should the other person's insurance deem that the evidence is not enough to prove that their driver is at fault.

[In California!] My new Tesla was dinged while parked, when the driver of the car next to ours opened the door too hard. Some of the red paint from the other person's car has transferred over to mine. While my wife saw the entire event from within our car, we unfortunately lost the video recording of it that was initially captured by our car's cameras (I think because our usb was low on memory or something). We have some photos (of the door of the other person's car touching ours) and videos that we managed to recover: Car Ding :( - Google Drive
(And we also have the other person's info such as drivers license, plate number, and insurance policy number).

Question: Is this enough evidence for an insurance claim to prove that the other person is at-fault? What I am afraid of never getting my deductible back should the other person's insurance deem that the evidence is not enough to prove that their driver is at fault.
File a claim with YOUR insurance and they will raise your rates. Will her insurance cover the ding?

Upvote 0
File a claim with YOUR insurance and they will raise your rates. Will her insurance cover the ding?
Not true. Calfornia is an at-fault state and by law, cannot raise your rates when the 'other guy/gal' is responsible.

That said, if OP does not have a license plate of teh offending party, the best OP can do is file a claim with own insurance and it gets paid under the Uninsured/Under-insured portion of the insurance (assuming OP purchased same). It will be subject to the deductible.

OTOH, OP, since you have the offending party's info, just give that all to your insurance and let them handle it -- it is what you pay them for -- and hopefully, they'll be able to reclaim your deductible.

OP: CA law allows you to go any repair shop of yoru choosing, so might as well use a Tesla body shop and tell offender's insurance, too bad.

Upvote 0

Door dings are often pretty obvious as to what they are. I'm assuming that you have a significant crease in the door.
If it is a minor crease or just paint transfer, call it a war wound and be proud of it. Just rub the paint off or even better, call it the blood from when car was injured.

Since you have the other person's info, just start the process with their carrier.

Upvote 0